seasoning a smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
Can I use oil that has been used for frying 2or3 times for seasoning my gator when It comes? Also I plan to oil the outside of the smoker do I put the oil on before or after I lite the fire.

Thanks,
Chris

chris1237 said:
Can I use oil that has been used for frying 2or3 times for seasoning my gator when It comes? Also I plan to oil the outside of the smoker do I put the oil on before or after I lite the fire.

Thanks,
Chris

I have never used, used oil to season my pit but I don't really see how it would hurt. I know people who use bacon grease all the time, that's used oil. I go for the can's of high temp pam, works like a charm!

Thanks for the advice. Ill make sure to post a few pictures when I get the pit next week.

Thanks,
Chris

john pen said:
Ok, Ill ask what some others may be thinking...why would you season a pit ?

John you basically season a pit the same reason you'd season a cast iron pan. It prevents everything from sticking to it and prevents it from rusting. When I got rid of LuLu the tuning plates were as stick free as a teflon pan. All the meat juices, sugars and spices would wipe right off of them for easy clean up and there was not a spec of rust on it!

DISCLAIMER: My pit had a bent support arm.

john pen said:
Ok, Ill ask what some others may be thinking...why would you season a pit ?

It tastes better, because I don't know where you buy your pits from, but where I get mine, they don't come seasoned.

Back
Top Bottom