Smokin on Feb 25 2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
Got 2 butts going on in moments, tomorrow I'm throwin on the corned beef brisket to make pastrami.

So far, I scored the fat on the butts. Big butts, not a lot of fat cap, but I never trim the fat cap. I like it to render down through the meat, if anything is left, I'll pull it out when I'm pulling.

Used my own rub, heavy on sugar and pepper, just a few other spices.
Simpler the better imho. Season the meat, don't cover the taste (which is why I don't like cumin..it changes the flavor to much for me).

Had an abundance of honey mustard. Decided to coat with that. I usually don't do mustard, but I had to get rid of that stuff!

I've always like coating with rub, then mustard, then applying another layer of rub. Don't think anyone else does this, but it works for me.

WSM is heating up, will throw the butts on soon.

Corned beef is soaking, I want to get a lot of the salt out. I'll put it on in the morning when I get up. No guru here, I'll get the temps set and check em when I get up.

no camera...I can get one from a friend tomorrow.

Also, I use a weed burner/flame thrower to light my charcoal (also to clean all my grills).

I use sand in my pan, and decided to heat up that sand with the burner...(it's about 45 degrees here). Temps got above 250 real quick, that's a good way to speed up the preheat process!

last spring, I bought a digital camera, and suddenly realized I had nothing to take pics of. Returned it for a refund. That was before this board. Guess that's one more thing I have to buy to feed this insatiable
hobby! :P

:mornin:

up and moving around now....butts have big bark, but after me picking on Guru owners on another forum, I awoke to find my coals almost gone, and I don't know how high my meat temps got!

:smt011

Looks ok though, I added more coals and will but the beef on soon.

Captain Morgan said:
:mornin:

up and moving around now....butts have big bark, but after me picking on Guru owners on another forum, I awoke to find my coals almost gone, and I don't know how high my meat temps got!

:smt011

Looks ok though, I added more coals and will but the beef on soon.

Capn' you'll be okay, kinda hard to get the temps too too high in the WSM without trying! What kinda internal temp do you have?

You'll be fine. How longs it been cooking? It most likely had a higher temp before the coals ran out.

Cap, what are you going to put on the CB? Pepper and coriander? Huh? Huh? Come on tell me!

You no havey ET-73 Capt?? That makes it ok for me...gets to low in temp and BEEP...BEEEP...BEEEP!!

You'll be fine...nice pics by the way!! :cry: :roll:

Greg Rempe said:
You no havey ET-73 Capt?? That makes it ok for me...gets to low in temp and BEEP...BEEEP...BEEEP!!

no, looks like another bbq related purchase in my future....good thing I'm not married....my wife would kill me!

Captain Morgan said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":1tm3qv1p]You no havey ET-73 Capt?? That makes it ok for me...gets to low in temp and BEEP...BEEEP...BEEEP!!

no, looks like another bbq related purchase in my future....good thing I'm not married....my wife would kill me![/quote:1tm3qv1p]

Capn' just get the ET-73, I didn't realize you were cooking commando! It's money well spent, and will keep you from running into the problem you had overnight! Got mine off Amazon for $40.

Captain Morgan said:
so you have the ET and the Guru? Are they both necessary?

NO I don't have the Guru nor do I think it's necessary. I do have an ET-73 and couldn't be happier with it. You set your high/low pit temps and set your desired meat temp and that's it. Other than making your vent adjustments on the WSM.

alll right, I'll but the dang thing. Guess it's time for me to eat a little crow....I'll have mine eastern Carolina style, please.

Captain Morgan said:
alll right, I'll but the dang thing. Guess it's time for me to eat a little crow....I'll have mine eastern Carolina style, please.

I had your back about not using the Guru cause I thougt you had a remote therm! No biggie though, that's why we are all here, to help one another!

Back
Top Bottom