quick butt question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cflatt

Sous Chef
Fire started out great last night. Started with the end of one bag of cowboy, then went in to a new bag. After a few hours though it wouldnt stay burning to save my life, tried everything I could, but finally at 171 degrees on my butt, i pulled it and added new coals and a new chimney worth of hot coals. I pulled the butt off and placed in in a cooler, wrapped up, but it still went down to 161. should it do ok ? or do I need to do anything to it ? hoping to get it up to pulling temp.

Had a similar situation last week. Had to go to work and butt was only around 180, but at least it was through the plateau...at 171, it may not
be fully rendered, but during the rest period it might.

I re- warmed mine when I got home, and most of it was pullable, but there were a couple of pieces I had to chop.

which is better at this point, fire is back and doing ok. do I risk drying it out buy putting it back on the smoke ?

Keep it wraped in foil and put it on the smoker. Did you put any type of liquid in when you wrapped it in foil? Some apple juice in their sure wouldn't hurt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom