Answer to Captain Morgans Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Hey Cap'n didn't want to get off topic in the "Pit Mods Section" to answer your question.

Dang Larry, how old is that WSM?

It's just over a year old. I guess you are asking because of the "funkiness"?? I don't really see any beneficial need to cleaning the inside of the pit to be honest. As long as the area that comes in contact with the meat is clean that's all thats important. Or as long as the funkiness doesn't cause an airflow problem. I do though run my grill brush lightly around the inside to get the loose bits off before I cook. If I were to breakdown and clean that thing she would never hold her temps properly again! lol That's really the reason. I can put my 10 lit coals in that thing using the MM, make my adjustment after it gets to a dome temp of 200 and never touch it again for the rest of the cook. If I were to clean it, I'd have to fiddle with it all day long! :shock:

Just look at it this way, you never "wash" a cast iron pan. Why would you wash the WSM? Gets better the more you use it! And I think I have truly gotten my money out of it. Since I've had it, I've prolly cooked on average 3 weekends out of every month for the past year or so. Before my WSM, I had a wonderful offset that I was sooooooooooooooooo happy to sell!!!!!!

Chris Finney said:
Alton Brown wouldn't agree with you. Clean walls reflect heat better than dirty walls.

The only thing that would counter this on the WSM is that a 'dirty' WSM is more air tight than a clean WSM. Thus better temp control.

He has a point, but we aren't always going to agree with what one another does or their rationale behind what they do. :roll:

I clean every part of my pit "except the top and sides of the cooking chamber. I will brush the gunk out of the bottom after every cook, but in a year, I have yet to scrup the somke residue off of the inside. Seems to work fine. Now I would clean it every year or so, butit does not seem to affect cooking. Believe me, I am neurotic about cleaning the grease and ash out though!

Woodman said:
I clean every part of my pit "except the top and sides of the cooking chamber. I will brush the gunk out of the bottom after every cook, but in a year, I have yet to scrup the somke residue off of the inside. Seems to work fine. Now I would clean it every year or so, butit does not seem to affect cooking. Believe me, I am neurotic about cleaning the grease and ash out though!

See, Great Minds think alike!

Back
Top Bottom