Oak wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
I am looking to get some oak wood to mix with apple. What types of oak are good to bbq with?

Any oak you can get will be great. The best oak is the elusive Free Oak. That is the best IMHO. :grin: No but really, any oak will work fine. Try a few and see if you develope a favorite. Here in San Antonio scrub oak and live oak are very common and are great. East of here Red Oak is wildly popular. White oak is great,...It's all good get what you can and free is best. Best to all your smoking dude!

Out here they got a plant where rail-road ties from Georgia are cut to length and then treated. The scraps (which are un-treated) are sold off by a couple of local firewood companies. The scraps are standard width and height as railroad ties but the lengths vary from an inch to 8 inches.

With every load of fire-wood a guy can bet that there will be some broken pieces. I take these small scraps aside and use them to augment the lump charcoal I use in the Kamado. Have thought about making homemade lump out of this stuff, just haven't gotten around to it.

Since the small pieces aren't worth much as firewood, I suppose that they could be considered a sub-species of the elusive free oak.

chris1237 said:
I am looking to get some oak wood to mix with apple. What types of oak are good to bbq with?

I got 2 huge oak trees in our back yard storm comes thru , I break out my sawzall and I got fire wood for my smoker!!!

Captain Morgan said:
hey Walter, feel free to bring some oak chunks to Myrtle in April!

I will bring some how much we gonna need , I will get busy cutting more up. What is your reguar email address I got some ideas for that anything but part??

Captain Morgan said:
jimmorg7@gmail.com

I'll have the wood for the cook, just bring me a box for my
personal use!! I'm also bringing the beer!

I got just the thing its already cut and packaged , had a friend do some for me . What do you need me to bring??

Do NOT bring bungee cords! They are dangerous, and apparently bad luck.

I think I've got everything, but we'll go over a checklist a couple
of weeks before.

Chris, like Zilla said, any oak is pretty good. Up here we get mostly red or white oak. I prefer red. It works particularly well on brisket! Woody

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom