Civil War Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for sharing that! Those ponderings on pork sure do make for some good reading. LOL I may have to try some of those recipes...it will be interesting as I read more of them to see how they compare to the recipes my 93 yr old grandmother uses. She grew up on a farm in southeast Georgia and her family had lived there for years.

I'm with you there! I have one from Chicago in the early 1900s. It's filled with good recipes and old advertisements for different businesses. I love looking at that one and have made a few cakes from it. I have over 30 recipe books and growing now. Several of them are around 30 years old. I also get recipes from my mom and grandmother every time I go home to visit. IMO, little beats those tried and true old family favorites! I have been making biscuits since I was about 10 yrs old just like my grandmother makes them. She learned from her mother. I even buy the lard to make them the right way....shortening just doesn't do the trick!

Smokehouse said:
There was a restaurant in our town in the 1990's whose entire menu was based on recipes from hotels in the area during the Civil War. It was named General Wheelers after a famous general in the area.Smokehouse
What happened to it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom