RED ALERT! - DO NOT FOIL HOT TURKEYS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

txpgapro

Sous Chef
Monday evening I foiled all my turkeys when they reached between 155*-165* and placed into a cooler to rest, and because of the lack of storage space. My plan was to deliver most of them tonight, keep one for myself and 2 of them would then be put on ice for a trip Tulsa. All the turkeys cooked apart in the foil. I am going to have to pull them apart and keep for myself for turkey burritos, turkey tacos, turkey spaghetti, turkey pot pies, and make some delicous smoked turkey queso. May give a few bags of pulled turkey away though. Anyway, my suggestion is to NOT foil hot turkeys!

What everyone needs to remember is... if you put a lot of any kind of hot meat in a cooler (foiled or not)... IT IS NOT RESTING... It is still cooking.
All that heat is just making it cook more.

Turkeys and other poultry should be lightly tented and placed on the counter to 'rest'. That way if you did manage to get crispy skin, the steam from the hot meat wouldn't make it mushy.

Leason well learned there Mike.

Welcome aboard "nmayeux". I see your from GA. I started to move to the Merrietta area a few years ago. I have a sister in law who lives in Dracula if you know where that is. By the way, good looking turkey.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom