Meat grades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobberqer

Sous Chef
Is anyone a whizbang genious on meat grading ??

Some confusion about grading of meats ...

In a store, you'll see mostly Choice and Select grades

Choice has a higher fat content than Select... So dont get fooled into thinkin a Select cut of meat is better( more marblin) than a Choice cut

If you see a sale on meats.. let say 2.99 a pound for top sirlion , select,
be wary about buying it ... it's gunna be a somewhat tough piece of meat.. unless you doctor it when you get home.. like air dry , or vinegar bath

If you get the same cut of meat, Choice, it will be a better cut of meat

If you see prime meat you're probably getting Prime3 ... Prime 1 is almost exclusively sold to restuarants ... The prime is good, but it's not the same as the meats in The Palm... Smith and Wollensky.. Ben Bensons... and the like

http://www.askthemeatman.com/usda_beef_ ... grades.htm

just thought I toss this out to the forum

That explains why the prime strip I pay $9.00 /lb for at the grocery doesnt taste any better that the choice strips I pay $2.69/lb for at Sam's in the 4 packs.

you got that right Woodman.... I believe the grading system is a bit flawed in it's process ... what gets passed off as Prime, is probably, by their definition, prime.... many times , Choice is as good as prime, but you will occasionaly, get a piece of prime meat that is killer good....

The other meat grading point to also recognize is that there is some overlap of grades that makes some meat graded as choice having less mabling than meat graded as select.

It is almost impossible to find REAL USDA Prime beef at retail. So, once a year (Xmas)I buy a USDA Prime Dry Aged (6 weeks) Standing Rib Roast from Lobel's in NY. I have to say, that it is, without a doubt, the best meat eating experience that I've had !!!!!!

The intense beef flavor does not compare to anything sold at a supermarket or even most butcher shops and that includes Certified Angus Beef.

I can't wait. :D

Al

Uncle Al writes >>>I have to say, that it is, without a doubt, the best meat eating experience that I've had !!!!!! <<<

At that price, it better be !!!! I've had Lobels meat..... pretty damn good

Took this off their web site, regarding grades of meat

In general, American meat is the best in the world. Breeding has become more scientific, and methods of animal care, feeding and slaughtering have improved. Processing, refrigeration techniques and transportation have also improved, resulting in better quality as meat moves from the farm to the packing center and the wholesale markets.

The U.S. government conducts stringent inspections of both live animals and carcasses. Each wholesale cut of an inspected and approved carcass must be stamped ´´Inspected and Passed by the Department of Agriculture.`` All fresh and processed meat products shipped from one state to another must have this federal stamp. Every butcher automatically looks for the stamp, because it indicates that meat is wholesome. However, the stamp tells nothing about the quality or grade of meat.

Meat inspection protects your health. The grading system describes quality, and predicts how tender, juicy and flavorful the meat will be. There are only three grades of meat for you to select when shopping: Prime, Choice and Select. Other grades are sold to canners and meat processors.

Prime (best) The highest grade of beef and lamb. Prime meat is marked with a purple shield-type roller stamp. Prime sells at premium prices, because it is produced in smaller quantities than other grades.

Don´t expect to find Prime meat in the supermarket. Top restaurants and hotels purchase most wholesale Prime meat and the rest is sold to the top butchers.

Choice (better) The next grade after prime is Choice. Much of today's supermarket meat is USDA Choice. It is the most popular grade overall, and often bears a brand name.

Select (good) Select is the lowest grade available to the consumer, and makes up the rest of meat in the supermarket. It may be sold with a house brand name.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture provides grade stamps to meatpackers for a fee. These stamps give both wholesale and retail shoppers a guide to meat quality. If you are dealing with a new butcher, ask him what grade of meat he is offering you. A butcher who wants your future patronage will show you the grade stamp.

Many packers use brand names to indicate the quality levels of their products, instead of using the top three federal grade stamps. Your butcher will be aware of what each name means, although you may not. Therefore, it is important to do business with a butcher you trust. If you have a good customer-butcher relationship, you can expect honest service.

Bob T said:
If She sees a little strip of fat, she trims off 1/4" of meat on each side of it just to make sure she got it all out! :eek:
Now that's funny! :grin:

Hey Goat

Nice post thanks... them meat packers will do many things to sell meat to the public.. including confusing labels... wont even go into selling water, or as they call it, injected meats, at meat prices.. that's great info

Back
Top Bottom