Pulled Chicken AGAIN!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
The people at work can't get enough pulled chicken! But who am I to complain, they're paying $8 lb. Rubbed the chicken with Wolfe Rub, then smoked with apple wood. Steve Z. came over and helped me pull the chicken! Once pulled I seasoned more with Wolfe Rub, then mixed in some SBR's.

wdroller said:
Larry, is that 8 chickens halved? How many pounds of pulled chicken did you have? It do look good.

Yes it was 8 chickens halved. They totaled 35.39 lbs, not sure yet on the finished weight. I'll let you know in the morning once it's all vac sealed. It's in the fridge now. The yield is surprisingly low once pulled.

thanks bruce, I try one and did not like it so I will go look to see what else thay have at the store. larry which flover do you use?

smokin Jim said:
Just a guess Larry but I bet your yield is about 50% or around 20 lbs. We'll see how close I come. Did you mix in any sauce?

I'm hoping you're right Jim!! The pan was pretty heavy after it was all pulled. Yes, I mixed in SBR's so that will help bring the weight up a bit.

The Missing Link said:
thanks bruce, I try one and did not like it so I will go look to see what else thay have at the store. larry which flover do you use?

ML, I use the original SBR's.

Larry, it looks fantastic...pics made me want to hop in Lulu myself!

Do your folks just eat it like pulled pork? On a bun or just by itself?

Bet you could make a heckuva cajun chicken salad with some of that!

Captain Morgan said:
Larry, it looks fantastic...pics made me want to hop in Lulu myself!

Do your folks just eat it like pulled pork? On a bun or just by itself?

Bet you could make a heckuva cajun chicken salad with some of that!

Yeah Cappy just eat it on a sammich. I personally prefer pulled pork.

Larry Wolfe said:
wdroller said:
Larry, is that 8 chickens halved? How many pounds of pulled chicken did you have? It do look good.

Yes it was 8 chickens halved. They totaled 35.39 lbs, not sure yet on the finished weight. I'll let you know in the morning once it's all vac sealed. It's in the fridge now. The yield is surprisingly low once pulled.

Okay I got everything vac sealed and ready to deliver tomorrow. I'm a little disappointed with the yield. After starting out with 35lbs of raw chicken, I ended up with 13lbs of finished product and that's including sauce. I'm seeing a price increase in the future!

I also did 3 racks of Loin Back ribs last night, but didn't take pic's of them till this morning.

Larry,

The ribs and chicken look great. Sorry to hear about the yield but bones and skin impact yield. Hey maybe you could start a new line. Wolf chicken soup.

Sure to be a hit especially in Winter.

I'd raise the price though. $10/lb is not too much to ask. Think about it, where else could you bet 4 1/4 lbs sandwiches for $2.50 a piece.

You know you just might need to get a bigger pit! :grin:

You're right Kloset! I do need a bigger pit!! There's definitely going to be a price increase!

I'm surprised at that yield, I thought it would be closer to the standard 50%. I sell pulled pork and beef for $25 for three pounds. My meat cost is usually around $1 per pound for beef shoulder clods and pork butts. I did buy 4 pork shoulders for $.69 but I haven't cooked them yet and I think the yield would be lower. Joe Ames always talks that his Fab products increase yield and cooking time. His products have MSG in them and for that reason I don't use them for catering. I don't know any other way to increase yield, seems like you need a price increase.

Rich Decker

Larry

how long did you smoke those birds...i have some leg quarters i want to make into pulled chicken

i usually do my chicken at 350 in my gosm when i do beer can chickens or what not. i have never done them low and slow in there

crazyhorse said:
Larry

how long did you smoke those birds...i have some leg quarters i want to make into pulled chicken

i usually do my chicken at 350 in my gosm when i do beer can chickens or what not. i have never done them low and slow in there

I cooked the chicken halves for about 3 hours at right around 250*. At that point the thigh is very loose.

Back
Top Bottom