Lest table salt get a bad name.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodman1

Executive Chef
With "The Great Brine/Salt Debate of Ought Five" raging, I thought I would throw this kernal of wisdom in there. YOU NEED TO OCCASSIONALLY USE TABLE SALT> IT IS THE ONLY SOURCE FOR IODINE IN MOST OF OUR DIETS> IODINE HELPS TO KEEP YOUR THYROID GLAND HEALTHY! DO NOT ABANDON TABLE SALT!!!!!

Larry Wolfe said:
I just ate a tablespoon per your advice! Why am I becoming quite thirsty now? 8-[
I think I know the answer to that!! :grin: :grin:

6.gif

Hey Woodman, I don’t mean to carry the NACL argument over here and I don't mean for it to become another debate, however I just went round and round with my wife on this topic this past year. She being a medical professional and my being a foodie puts us at odds sometimes. Here are some bits I found on the subject to defend myself from her learned assault.

“Iodine is present in seafood and in foods grown in iodine rich soil.
Dairy products are a significant source of iodine in the American diet due to the iodine containing chemicals used to clean dairy equipment and to the addition of iodine to the feed of dairy cows. Breads, cereals and red candies (red dye is high in iodine) are also excellent sources of iodine. A significant source of dietary iodine in the western hemisphere is iodized table salt.â€

OK , so it's not the only source, but folks like myself who eat mostly "freshwater" seafood can certainly use it!

Woody
Your right there is a place for table salt. The reason you hear no iodized salt is because of the coloration of the finished product.
Jim

Woodman said:
With "The Great Brine/Salt Debate of Ought Five" raging, I thought I would throw this kernal of wisdom in there. YOU NEED TO OCCASSIONALLY USE TABLE SALT> IT IS THE ONLY SOURCE FOR IODINE IN MOST OF OUR DIETS> IODINE HELPS TO KEEP YOUR THYROID GLAND HEALTHY! DO NOT ABANDON TABLE SALT!!!!!

So true! In a nutritional study of professional athletes from many different sports, their one common deficiency was salt. We have been told for so long that salt is not good for you, well that simply is not true. If you spend lots of physical energy, sweat a lot, work outside a lot, be sure to get enough salt intake.

SmokinOkie said:
zilla said:
.... in iodine rich soil.

Ah, the great brine debate of '05, where were you???

So Zilla, does that mean I can eat a lot of dirt and get my iodine? I'm not a veggie kinda guy. And since I drop food on the ground at contests, I shouldn't wipe off the dirt so the judges can get some iodine.

Smokin'

Well... I guess you could if your teeth were strong enough. Better take a fluoride and calcium supplement, and eat more dairy products too. For what it's worth, the point about the iodine rich soil was directed at Veggies grown in Australia and other countries in particular where the soil in not rich in Iodine. My original point was that the average American has enough quality food available to them and this makes the use of Iodized salt as a supplement unnecessary in the USA. According to food science experts, (and I am not one) The average human needs only about a teaspoon of iodine spread out throughout their life and this is easily done with a reasonable diet. However it will not hurt you to use iodized salt.

What? You don't eat fresh water Shark, Grouper, or Swordfish? Being the traveling businessman you are, I thought you would have a more diverse palette than that. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom