Pork Chops & Sauerkraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
4 thick cut bone in pork chops (approx. 2lbs) (I like to leave all the fat on the chops)
2 Large Granny Smith Apples (cored and cut into a large dice)
1 Large Onion (cut in a medium dice)(Vidalia is great)
2 lbs good Sauerkraut (I like the kind in the bags)
1 Teaspoon Caraway Seeds (optional)

Season pork chops with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper

Sear in a hot skillet with a little vegetable oil for approx. 2 minutes per side (can be grilled)

Sauté onion and apple in the oil and pan juices for 2-3 minutes

Add sauerkraut with the juice to the pan of apples and onions to deglaze and simmer until warmed through (add caraway seeds at this point if using them)

In a large backing dish add a layer of the kraut, apple and onion mixture, then place the pork chops on top, then add the remaining kraut mixture overtop of the chops

Foil the dish and bake at 325* for 45 minutes, then remove foil and increase temperature to 350* for 15 more minutes to reduce the pan juices

The combination of the sweetness from the apples and onions combined with the tartness from the sauerkraut and the juices/fat from the chops are fantastic! My family hates sauerkraut but always requests I make this! This is a version of an old recipe my father used to make in a crockpot

Bruce,
The juice and all. I've used both the sauerkraut in the bag and cans too, and do not notice any difference in flavor or moisture content. BTW, I recently used Bush's canned sauerkraut (never new they made anything other than beans) but it was very good.

I've got a catering job next month and they're considering a German theme, specifically mentioned chops and kraut. I'm a little concerned about the texture of those thick pork chops....Should I just get a tenderlon and chop that? Advice?

Cap'n as long as you do not over cook the tenderloin I'm sure it would be fine. But, I prefer it done with a fairly fatty chop for the flavor and to aid keeping the chops moist. The combination of the fat juices, kraut and the apples blend together, without the fat I'm not sure if you'd get the same effect with a lean tenderloin. If you want to try something other than the chops, like more of an appetizer type thing. Try country ribs or spares, I've used those before and they were delicious. Plus they retain alot more moisture and have a longer hold time due to the fat/moisture content compared to the "TL". Just a suggestion, if you do the German Gig, throw some brat's in with the pork. Sounds good to me!

Larry,

A relative of yours raid Hitler's bunker :march: or what, damn, now that's some German recipes. Thanks buddy!!

Captain Morgan said:
I've got a catering job next month and they're considering a German theme, specifically mentioned chops and kraut. I'm a little concerned about the texture of those thick pork chops....Should I just get a tenderlon and chop that? Advice?
I've eaten ribs baked in kraut and pulled pork & kraut.

Like Larry, I would be a little leary of trying a tenderloin that way. The kraut sort of dries meat out, like the acidity cuts the fat or something which is great for spares and butt, but might not work too well with a tenderloin.

Maybe you could brine the tenderloin first?

Or serve kraut on the side or on top of sliced tenderloin with fried bacon and onions in it? Fry up onions and butter. In seperate pan fry bacon bits, remove from pan but leave some of the bacon grease in there. Throw in the saurkraut but hold back most of the juice, keep it moving. After a minute or two throw in the onions and bacon. Get it all hot and well mixed and it's done.

well I was thinking of wrapping the loin in bacon, but after reading this, I'll probably just do chops. Wasn' aware of the effect the kraut had on them.

Or serve kraut on the side or on top of sliced tenderloin with fried bacon and onions in it? Fry up onions and butter. In seperate pan fry bacon bits, remove from pan but leave some of the bacon grease in there. Throw in the saurkraut but hold back most of the juice, keep it moving. After a minute or two throw in the onions and bacon. Get it all hot and well mixed and it's done.
added this part after the fact captain, sry

the fried kraut with bacon and onions is awesome with perogies and sour cream and some steamed (or probably smoked) sausage

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom