OK probably dumb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
OK, probably dumb question, and after I read the responses, I'll go "DOH" but how come rub recipes never use fresh herbs?

Griff

Cuz them's fer marinades. :-k :-#

Some of MY concerns using fresh herbs in a rub......
...moisture content! - making the product clumpy.
...the triple in the amount of fresh that you would have to use vs dried.
...difficult to "repeat" the same recipe due to the very nature of fresh herbs.
...If the majority of the ingredients are dry, and you add a "fresh" product with so many "volatile" oils, it would corrupt the flavor of the original dried ingredients.

JMHO :-k :-#

Griff the only dumb question is one that
is asked by Finney.

My concern would be that the herbs might burn and get
bitter on the outside of the meat. Also everything Scotty
said. I knew all that, he just beat me to it. :^o

You can definitely use fresh herbs as a rub. You just cannot make more than you are going to use at any given time. I make an herb crust that is great on either pork ,or beef roasts that seals in juices like you cannot believe. Just take some sage,salt , pepper, thyme, oregano, garlic, and rosemary; chop it fine in a processor and roll the roast in it. try and completely coat the surface. Cook as desired and enjoy.

ps. some poultry rubs use dried herbs.

All good points.

Fresh herb rubs--those made exclusively with fresh ingredients--can remain or become pasty when used for low/slow cooks, especially when you figure in the rest period. I really like fresh herb paste rubs for shorter, high heat grill-roasts though and make them more often than not for those kind of cooks.

For low/slow cooks where pastes are typically used--like with jerk pork or conchinita pibil, e.g--you can wipe off most of the paste after marinating and before cooking; you can wipe off all, some, none, or just a little after cooking and after the rest, working the remainder into the meat as you pull or chop it; or, after marinating but before cooking you can wipe off most of the marinade and apply a dry rub using dry versions of key elements of the marinade.

For low/slow cooks with 'typical' dry rubs you can use fresh herbs without a problem since the bulk of the rub is dry ingredients. For best results, imo, mince the herb(s) very finely.

Back
Top Bottom