WSM Smoking Jacket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kloset BBQR

Executive Chef
Hey Bill,

That smoking jacket on your WSM looks great. Is that the one they sell on the Guru site? Got a couple of questions for you regarding it.

!. Since the top vents are covered by the jacket, I'm assuming that the smoke is exiting out through the bottom of the jacket where the gur adapter is hooked up or do you open up one of the other bottom vents. Just wondering because my bottom vent is covered with the tape that came with the Guru.

2. Any idea on the extended cook times you get with the jacket or are you using this primarily to cook in winter temps.

Kloset, the exhause exits the top vent and is basically forced down and out around the bottom. It's not a tight fitting jacket. Yeah, it's the Silver Jacket from the good people at theBBQGURU.com :!: It's made from that 1000 degree firesuit stuff. Here's a little snippet from their site:

The SBSJ is custom sewn from 1000° F aluminized fiberglass which is used to make fire suits. This jacket extends cooking times and conserves charcoal. The SBSJ is designed for use with The BBQ Guru and when used together, smoke flows through the top damper of your smoker and down through the bottom air space in the jacket. You will be suprised at how efficient these products make your bullet smoker.

As far as how much longer will it burn, don't know, but it's gotta be at least an hour or 2 ~ Difference between a summer cook and a winter cook. Once everything heats up in there, it's just like cooking in the summer. Too bad it's a hundred bucks!

Thanks Bill, I ordered one earlier today and was curious how it worked since the top vent was covered by the jacket.

Thanks for the explanation.

I've got to say it adds a bit of elegance to the smoker. I nominate your WSM for GQue magazine!

Kloset I bought one of them jackets though I don't have a Guru ... I ended up cutting a vent hole in the top cuz my temps kept dropping. I'm sure it works just fine with the forced air fan of the Guru though. When I do get a Guru I'm gonna foil tape a bandage over the hole I cut.

Susan said hers worked fine for her without a vent hole, so I'm interested to hear how it works for you. She obviously has no trouble with venting. lol

If there is a diff, I dunno, maybe altitude and external temp diffs could explain it.

I'll report back when it arrives Shawn. I'll be using it with a Guru. Got it mainly for winter cooks. I'll do a cook with pictures sometime in December when we've got 20 inches of snow on the ground.

I saw somewhere they have an automatic augerfeed system that measures the temp of your food and then automatically opens the door and feeds fresh coals, like a boiler operates, into the fire to maintain constant temp until the meat is done...which is measured by an internal tenderness gauge that measures resistance with specs received from KCBS. The best part is when it's done though...it electronically sends an impulse to a device that is implanted at the base of your skull and the intensity grows higher and higher until you go remove the meat. Failure to remove within guidelines of when tenderness is at it's peak results in a delibating medical condition similar to shock therapy. Once the automatic weight-sensing grates read that the meat has been removed it remotely signals a rolodex of user programmed phone numbers to call whoever you select for that cook to come over to eat at precisely the correct time after resting, prep, etc. They even have a deluxe model which will even do presentations for contests based on past presentations from a database of web pics guaranteed to give you 9s in any contest. All of this is legal in KCBS comps too.

Not at this time Jeff, I just got the wired Guru a couple of weeks ago. But I did purchase the smoking jacket and eyelets the other day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom