Smoked deep fried turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
Ok guys. My wife’s family has asked me do one of those turkeys where it is smoked and then deep fried. I have never cooked a turkey that way. I am planning on doing a few practice sessions before thanksgiving. My question is how exactly do you do this? How long do you smoke the turkey? Does it need to go right from the smoker to the fryer? How long do you fry it for? Do you put rub on the turkey?

Any help and advice you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

well I don't know.

But I know it's been done, and raved about. Course everybody pretty much raves about their own cooking. I'd smoke till internals got around
120 or 130, then fry till internals get to 170, but I don't know what I'm talking about.

TexLaw,

I've deep fried Turkey's and they are delicious but you are right the process is somewhat dangerous. Make sure you measure the oil level correctly by placing the turkey in water until it just comes up to the level above the Turkeyand then mark that level and fill your oil up to that level before heating. Most of the fires are caused by people not taking this preliminary step, dropping their Turkey in and the hot oil overflowing onto the fire. Compound that with a propane tank next to it and you've got a disaster waiting to happen.

I'd be little leary about smoking a turkey and then deep frying it. It sounds good but with all those juices starting to flow from smoking, it could be like adding water to a deep fryer, again very dangerous.

Frying turkey's can be safe if you take precautions. Never leave the fryer after you've dipped the turkey in and always have a fire extinguisher nearby and never fry in an enclosed are. I know it seems logical but you'ld be surprised of the number of people that have sacrificed safety for comfort, especially around Thanksgiving time when the weather is bad.

Be safe! Fried turkey is fantastic and I have to admit the danger element was part of the thrill! :grin:

I have done them in the past and it is no more dangours than frying one without the smoking step. Simply put in smoker for one to two hours at 225º based on how much smoke you wish. At this point you would deep fry just as if it had not been smoked.
When deep frying I dislocate the thigh joints, I find that it helps speed up getting the thighs up to finish temp at that location.
Jim

well, as Bigwheel often starts his posts, I think the most important safety
function in frying turkeys is not dropping the turkey in! Wear a good glove up to your forearm, and slowly lower it in. I've pulled it out and back in several times to measure temps. Slowly up, slowly back in, and
don't be drunk when you do it. That's all. I'm more comfortable doing that than driving through Myrtle Beach in the summer.

Captain Morgan said:
I've pulled it out and back in several times to measure temps. Slowly up, slowly back in, and
don't be drunk when you do it. That's all.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

i like to grill mine on my weber kettle using indirect heat and putting hickory chips on the coals.

I have done the fried turkey thing for a couple years but since i started grilling them there will be no going back to fried

just my.02

How do he do that?
2.gif

Back
Top Bottom