LuLu just ate two birds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trying something different with these turkeys, I'll let ya'll know in a little while. Not sure how long they will take on LuLu, Bill. I'm thinking around 4 hours at 250*.

Kloset I got my eggs for breakfast underneath the turkeys!! I'm gonna make rare hamburgers with mixed in turkey giblets later. :ack: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

So, how are they coming along? And, how about them Skins, eh? 35 - 7 at the half!!

Larry Wolfe said:
Trying something different with these turkeys, I'll let ya'll know in a little while. Not sure how long they will take on LuLu, Bill. I'm thinking around 4 hours at 250*.

Kloset I got my eggs for breakfast underneath the turkeys!! I'm gonna make rare hamburgers with mixed in turkey giblets later. :ack: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

FOUR HOURS AT 250???????????!!!!!!!!!!! You are just kidding me and I don't get it right? I'm thinking much longer (6 hours+)

Here we go, quite pleased with the finished product. Now.......I gotta admit something on these birds. These are the first turkeys I've ever smoked, that I did not brine and was surprised with the results. The birds were much moister than I thought they would be. However, the flavor was not as good as a brined bird is. So, I'll vouch for folks that say brining is not absolute necessary. But on the other hand I would recommend trying both and to make your decision from the two. Would I smoke another turkey without brining? Absolutely. Which do I prefer? The brined.

Raine, hat's off to you and your hubby.

Woodman, one bird took right at about 4.5 hours, the other took about 5 hours. The pit temps were right around 250* for the entire cook, give or take 10* degrees. I pulled them both when the breast was at 163*. Both birds thighs were over 180*.

Looks very good, thinking I'll try a turkey out next on the WSM. Right after I try ribs. :D

Good job Larry! They'd even look better on Yahoo or Kodak, anything but ephotohut! :!: Next time try injecting with apple juice concentrate, and stuff with apples! BTW, still not to late for Qfest!

Jeff E said:
Those turkeys look great Larry. Were the birds enhanced or natural?
I have smoked Butterball (enhanced) turkeys before with good results. I haven't tried a natural one + brining yet. That's still on my list of things to do.

Jeff, they were enhanced (8%).

txpgapro said:
Good job Larry! They'd even look better on Yahoo or Kodak, anything but ephotohut! :!: Next time try injecting with apple juice concentrate, and stuff with apples! BTW, still not to late for Qfest!

Mike, I wish QFest wasn't so far away! I'd love to make it! Maybe next year!

Thanks for posting the cook times Larry. I have never smoked a turkey less than 40lbs and was wondering about smaller birds. everything looks great. I will be smoking several smaller birds for the holidays this year and will use you info.

Thanks again,

zilla said:
Thanks for posting the cook times Larry. I have never smoked a turkey less than 40lbs and was wondering about smaller birds. everything looks great. I will be smoking several smaller birds for the holidays this year and will use you info.

Thanks again,

Zilla, did I read that correctly??? "I have never smoked a turkey less than 40lbs"??? If so where in the heck do you buy your turkeys?

Larry Wolfe said:
Woodman, one bird took right at about 4.5 hours, the other took about 5 hours. The pit temps were right around 250* for the entire cook, give or take 10* degrees. I pulled them both when the breast was at 163*. Both birds thighs were over 180*.
Larry, in a situation like that, where you have to pull meat at different times, how long does your pit take to get back to temp?

Larry Wolfe said:
zilla said:

Thanks again,

Zilla, did I read that correctly??? "I have never smoked a turkey less than 40lbs"??? If so where in the heck do you buy your turkeys?
LMAO!! EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas!! :grin: :grin:

The Joker said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2d7rpj9o]
Larry, in a situation like that, where you have to pull meat at different times, how long does your pit take to get back to temp?[/quote:2d7rpj9o]

Not sure about the specific time Bill. I think after I pulled the first one the other was done about 30 minutes later. LuLu was really impressive today with her heat retention. Every cook gets easier.....

I have a buddy that has all his kids in the 4H Club. They raise turkeys for competitions. They range 45-55 lbs or so. He gives them away to anyone who can cook one that big. I have smoked 5-6 over the last 6 years. They are only about 6mo. old and are great. Many people ask if a big bird like that is tough. No they are as tender as a 12lb bird. Just have to have someone to share with. 14hrs at 225 and a big bag of Cherry chunks and your there. That is one of the reasons I went with 24" pipe and the upright on a big smoker. :!: The other reason is wild hogs which I'm fond of. I hope to post some pics of these over the winter.

Check you local 4H clubs to see if you can score a Texas size turkey :eek: :grin:

Good night gents.

Funny giant turkey story,

A women took one of these giant birds and popped it in her oven for an overnight cook. Woke up in the morning to about a half a gallon of turkey fat and juice leaking out of her oven all over the kitchen floor. These things produce a crazy amount of liquid while cooking. :grin:

zilla said:
Funny giant turkey story,

A women took one of these giant birds and popped it in her oven for an overnight cook. Woke up in the morning to about a half a gallon of turkey fat and juice leaking out of her oven all over the kitchen floor. These things produce a crazy amount of liquid while cooking. :grin:
Well, it's a good thing that them there Texas Turkeys are so big they won't fit on the top shelf of Larry's pit! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: OK, no more jokes from the Joker... 8-[

Back
Top Bottom