Pulled Pork for 100

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MTBengal

Assistant Cook
Going to be smoking this on a combination of a MES and a Traeger grill for a friends wedding and I need to get an idea of how many pounds of meat I will need. Going to be buying the Costco packages (around 16-17 lb per package, 2 butts in each package 8-9 lbs each). I have read anywhere between 28-75 lbs which is a huge difference.

My first thought was to get four packages so around 64 lbs of meat raw. I am thinking I will lose about 40% weight during the cook. My math behind this is 64 lbs x 16 oz =1024 oz total, 1024 oz x .6 leaves me with 614.4 oz cooked. 614 oz /100 people will give me around 6 oz per serving. I am also going to throw on about 20 brats in the smoker and maybe 20 hot dogs on the grill. Any suggestions on the numbers I have came up with would be great. Unfortunately I do not have the exact adult to kid ratio so I am assuming mostly adults. Never hurts to have leftovers and it would be bad to come up short.

Any tips or tricks on the best way to reheat as well would be great. Thanks in advance.

Some of the veterans can answer this better then me especially how to keep warm.
One way is to put in foil serving trays covered with foil and then put in coolers topped off with old newspaper/towels as insulation.

Is the pork served as a stand alone dish or on a bun?

Your number of 6 ounces is pretty much on point...IMO

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Pulled Pork

To be safe and serve 6oz per person and have enough, I would cook 75 pounds of bone in pork butt.

Fwiw, you will lose more than 40% with your cook.

Dave

Old Dave nailed it. :) I do the cooler deal to hold. I would preheat them withh super hot water first and don't spare the news paper.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom