st louis rib tryout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marestj

Assistant Cook
I always bbq or smoke baby back ribs. I was told a while back that St. Louis ( spare ribs ) have a lot better flavor and more substance to them, so I decided to try them. The recipe I got was to wrap them loosely in foil on a cookie sheet and add about a cup of apple juice. Cook them for 3 hours at 225 degrees. Then, take them and put them directly on the grate on my gas grill and finish them off for another hour with your bbq sauce and so on. I did this and they were tougher than a two bit steak. I think this would have worked fine, but needed to cook them a lot longer. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks, Tom

Last time I did them on the smoker @225 I went 6 hours and then to foil at lower temp for another 2..

They do need longer and mainly IMO around 200 and foil for best results

I used to wrap my spares, and do the 3-2-1 method everytime I smoked them. Now I say the hell with that, it's not needed. I just Clean and dry them, put on the rub, slap them there things on the smoker for about 4 and a half to 5 hours at 225°, never touching the lid of that smoker.

That leads to POOF they are done, and just as good as wasting time wrapping them.

P.S. don't listen to Bosko, he is somewhere out in left field past the fence, looking in the opposite direction.

What about th 10 pounds of butter Max..........you forgot that.........the butter Max!!!!

Butter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......butter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!butter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ribs,ribs,ribs

i cook on a LANG60 and if i do the 321 method they are somewhat over cooked and yes squeesey butter an more squeesey butter

I agree. I tried the 3-2-1 method and they came out a little overcooked. I think the next time, I will do a 3-1 and the last 1 will be finishing with the sauce on the bbq

6 hours is a long day for ribs. I cook on a Lang60 too. Really regret not getting the 84.

Tried the 3-1-1 and made a big difference. Used one pan of half apple and half cherry. Turned out pretty dang good. Have you ever used pecan? I hear that is the ticket

might have to try that too. What the hell. I would rather have a good rack of ribs than a filet anymore. There are sooooo many variables. That 4.5 - 5 isn't a bad idea either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom