Anybody grill pork chops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maylar

Home Griller
I'm wanting to do a couple of center cut pork chops on the grill and I'm looking for prep and cook ideas. Normally I'd do them in a covered skillet on the stove with a bit of water and some chopped onion, basically steaming them. Can chops be grilled?

TIA

Oh yeah my friend.....oh......yea!!

Get a decent rub and or your favorite spices, if they are about 3/4 inch thick they will cook pretty quick.

Most people murder chops on a grill, hot and fast is the way to go.

350 degree grill throw down..........then cross hatch same side in 4 minutes.

Cook 4 more minutes and then flip...

Do the same same on the second side and then yank them off and cover with foil.

2ilzea.jpg

Last edited:
I grill a lot of thick pork loin steaks (takes a bone to be called a chop ya know?) Anyway I do a two hour hot water brine on them which goes like this. This a copy and paste from an old message:

1 gallon hot tap water. 1/2 cup salt. 1/4 cup of your favorite bbq rub. Soak the thick pork steaks two hours..no more no less. No need to refrigerate while they are soaking. Dry them off..rub with Olive Oyl and apply a bit more rub. 4 mins per side on a hot grill or till they hit 150 internal. Mighty fine grazings. The recipe came from a fancy Chef in Dallas as is the favorite of one of he Jonas Brothers..whoever that is. The Recipe came out of People Magazine.

To brine stick the whole shebang in an unscented garbage bag.

I grill a lot of thick pork loin steaks (takes a bone to be called a chop ya know?) Anyway I do a two hour hot water brine on them which goes like this. This a copy and paste from an old message:

1 gallon hot tap water. 1/2 cup salt. 1/4 cup of your favorite bbq rub. Soak the thick pork steaks two hours..no more no less. No need to refrigerate while they are soaking. Dry them off..rub with Olive Oyl and apply a bit more rub. 4 mins per side on a hot grill or till they hit 150 internal. Mighty fine grazings. The recipe came from a fancy Chef in Dallas as is the favorite of one of he Jonas Brothers..whoever that is. The Recipe came out of People Magazine.

To brine stick the whole shebang in an unscented garbage bag.

A gallon is a big pot, I'm only doing a couple of chops (loin steaks, as you mentioned - no bones). I'm gonna scale this down and give it a go.

So... what are the favorite sides for pork loin? Other than applesauce, which is a prerequisite. I'm thinkin' some of my famous beans and... ?

Yep..got to have beans. We eat them 3 times a day and twice on Sunday here in God's Country (Texas of course). We like corn on the cob..fried tates..fried okry..etc. Prob cut the brine in half without any issues. I usually do a half loin..six pounds or so. Makes about 11-12 full sized steaks. That is a cheap way to get em..cut them yourself.

Any sides that I'd normally like with anything goes pretty well with pork. ;)

Yep..got to have beans. We eat them 3 times a day and twice on Sunday here in God's Country (Texas of course). We like corn on the cob..fried tates..fried (nasty word censored)..etc. Prob cut the brine in half without any issues. I usually do a half loin..six pounds or so. Makes about 11-12 full sized steaks. That is a cheap way to get em..cut them yourself.

It's like "Buy one, Get TWO Free" when ya buy a whole loin and slice it into individual "chops" or steaks. Price per pound for a whole loin is usually about 1/3 what they charge if'n they cut 'em for you. Plus, ya can cut 'em any thickness ya wants 'em cut. :D

Right right. I figured out that scam several years back. There is some smarty pants folks down there in Florididdy. Rarely see whole loins in the regular stores around here. Few times I have got one it was two halves stacked on top of each other. Not sure why they like to mess with folks like that.

Well, I got around to actually doing this yesterday. These were 1" thick chops and they took more than just a few minutes, but man they were good.

Brined with kosher salt and molasses for 6 hrs in the fridge. Sprinkled with Magic Dust and cooked to 150 inside. Served up with applesauce, Tater Tots and my Worl' Famous Doctored Beans.

Cell fone pic, all I had at the time...

14696527361_431ea934e3_z.jpg

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Looks great.

Applesauce and Tator Tots...REQUIRED with pork and the beans don't hurt a thing. Fact is, beans are required at least a few times a week!;)

We usually only eat Tots with the Foot Long Chili Cheese Conies from Sonic. Only get applesauce when in the horsptial. Where do that young man hang the hat? He aint from around here I dont think.

Certain things go together juss because... applesauce with pork, mint jelly with lamb, cranberry sauce with turkey...

My mum taught me these things.

Excellent looking chops cook!!!

Pork chops and apple sauce must be a Midwest/Eastern thing. It was common to see people eating it when I was growing up in Michigan but I don't see anybody eating their pork chops with applesauce here in California.

Right right. We eat our pork chops with fried tates..pinto beans and cornbread. Maybe a little fried okry sometimes. Dang yall are making me hongry again. Now from having survived tangling with a chunk of a dead sheep one time..I do know why they put mint jelly on it. Bound to help with the stink a little. Shoo wee..them things are muskier than a javalino hog.

Now from having survived tangling with a chunk of a dead sheep one time..I do know why they put mint jelly on it. Bound to help with the stink a little. Shoo wee..them things are muskier than a javalino hog.
I just KNEW that I wasn't the onliest one that felt that way 'bout dead sheeps, no matter how it's cooked. :D

There is a real nice fellow named Robert Bredermeyer who lives in Sweetwater, TX who has a bbq team called "We dont cook Sheep." He can really get folks laughing when he tells the history behind the team name. This link gives the abbreviated version of the story.
National Barbecue News

Back
Top Bottom