Two meats at once!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BuffaloBBQ

Cook
I will be doing another smoke this Saturday that includes two meats: another pork shoulder ('cuz the wifey liked it SOOOO much last time), and a whole chicken. Should I smoke both at the same start time, or should I do one before the other? My thought is to start the pork shoulder first, then start the chicken. Any input from you guys is always welcomed!

The chicken will take alot less time to smoke, I would suggest starting with the shoulder, then add the chicken later. The chicken should take about 3 hours or so depending on how you're cooking it (spatch cocked, whole, pieces). Well that is what it takes for me. Chicken is usually cooked at a higher temperature as well.

The chicken will take alot less time to smoke, I would suggest starting with the shoulder, then add the chicken later. The chicken should take about 3 hours or so depending on how you're cooking it (spatch cocked, whole, pieces). Well that is what it takes for me. Chicken is usually cooked at a higher temperature as well.

Was gonna smoke it whole. Is there any danger by cooking it at 250-ish?

No it will just take longer, and the skin will not be crisp. One way I have learned to get some crispy skin is to rub in a couple tablespoons of oil, and on top of that add a couple tablespoons of kosher salt.

Last edited:
Some people have been known to cook 4 different "types" of meat at the same time...BBQ contests.

(I hate to say this, it's so hard to do...) Max is correct about the yard bird. It'll take longer at the lower temperature (not as long as the pork) and the skin'll be rubbery at the lower temperatures but it'll be very good and just as safe.

Just have fun with it!

If your sure you want to leave the bird whole be sure and cook it breastes side down the entire time. Also if you plan to stack the meat the pecking order is: Pork on top..beef next..then chicken..possums etc. on the very bottom. Depending on your pit the logistics might require removing the butt so you can take out the chicken when it gets done..then putting the butt back on alone to finish. If you can spread them out on the horizontal axis should be no problem. Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom