Substitute for Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IvanTheTerrible1949

Assistant Cook
Both my wife and I are on sodium restricted diets. Anyone have any good ideas for spices that can substitute for salt in BBQ recipes (rubs, sauces, etc.)? I hear that cooking with Salt Substitute trademark brands, i.e. Nu-Salt is not good for cooking.

Thanks in advance.

Even though salt is used in almost every recipe here, it does not make the food have much more "sodium" in it. The salt is used to draw moister into the meat. If anything I would use maybe Sea-salt, or Kosher salt. Just regular table salt has alot more preservatives in it, and Iodine.

I have heard good things about a salt substitute called Also Salt. I haven't found it in my area so I haven't tried it. Heinz Ketchup makes or at least used to make ketchup with this inside it instead of regular salt and I couldn't tell the difference.

Mrs. Dash makes a lot of different seasoning and are really pretty good. My favorites are lemon pepper and Southwest Chipotle. I also used to take seasoning recipes and only add about a 1/4 amount the recipe said.

There are a bunch of no salt rub recipes out there and some place make their rubs with no salt added. Only one I can thing of off hand is Mad Hunky General purpose rub no salt
Rich's General Purpose Rub- No Salt

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom