Detroit BBQ Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Max1

Head Chef
Yes Detroit has their own BBQ sauce, it has for years. I have been making some different sauces lately so I thought I would post this up. This version of this sauce was my Grandmothers. She was known for never giving all the ingredients to recipes. I being craft as I am got this recipe from about 6 different relatives that she had given it too. Low and behold I have the only true and full version of this recipe. Now this recipe calls for Vernors pop, you can substitute with ginger ale, but for best results, please try to find some Vernors. Also if you would like fresh black cherries, you can use them, but you have to pit them, and you will need to freeze them, they do need to be frozen. The fresh cherries do give a better flavor though.

Ingredients:

2 cups frozen black cherries
1 cup Vernors
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
1 clove of garlic (creamed use mortar and pestle)
3 TBSP apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder

Instructions:

Combine cherries, Vernors, and sugar in medium pan, over medium high heat, until sugar dissolves. Then turn heat down to medium.

Simmer over medium heat stirring occasionally until it reduces into a thickened liquid consistency

Reduce heat and add remaining ingredients, stirring until thoroughly incorporated. Simmer for 40 minutes.

You can use an immersion blender to get rid of clumpyness of cherries. You will need to run the liquid through a strainer after, to remove pulp

Last edited:
Hey thanks Max. Looks good. Cant wait to give it a whirl. Black cherries are supposedly good for gout. I have a job application in the works to be a tail gunner on the Budweiser truck up there in Detroit. Could I list you as a reference? Thanks.

Are Black Cherries those we will get from Traverse City in a few weeks? Fresh are a little pricy, but I'll give this a try. When in The Wolverine State do as the Wolverine does ;)

Last edited:
I will freeze some and send them your way if you want some John, just say the word. The only reason they are so plentiful in Michigan, is that we have cherry orchards all over the state, along with apple orchards. Hell I have a dwarf bing cherry tree in our front yard. We also have about 10 apple orchards in about a 10 mile radius of our house. I get alot of wood from them, most of the time they just give it away.

Last edited:
I will freeze some and send them your way if you want some John, just say the word. The only reason they are so plentiful in Michigan, is that we have cherry orchards all over the state, along with apple orchards. Hell I have a dwarf bing cherry tree in our front yard. We also have about 10 apple orchards in about a 10 mile radius of our house. I get alot of wood from them, most of the time they just give it away.

I grew up in Michigan. I remember going to the cherry and peach orchards and picking our own when I was a kid. We used to pick a lot of stuff when i was a kid. Right around Mothers Day with used to pick ferns (fiddlesticks) picking raspberries and black berries, mushrooms asparagus was pretty common too.

Hey I take Black Cherry juice for gout. Kroger sells Knudson Farms in the glass jug. Its a bit pricey for juice but tastes pretty stout. Bet that might work. Would beat mailing frozen cherries. Just a thought. In fact I might just go try it and see. Aint had no ginger ale in years..but we have Sprite. That should work. Smart thinking.

I would use Vernor's if the recipe calls for it, there really is no substitute. Vernor's is totally different than other ginger ales, it pack a bigger punch than those other guys.

Must be illegal in Texas..aint never seen or heard of it. I think we have Canada Dry brand..and aint seen that since I was a kid.

Vernors is most found around the northern states. And like John said there really is not a substitute for it, you could get away with Canuk Dry, but Sprite, that is Lemon Lime, not Ginger. I would not use the Sprite, that would change the flavor of the recipe all together. Check Amazon, should be able to get it there.

Kroger's here carries it, you may be able to get it special order, or you could try Walmart too. If you were going to really try it, I could send you some.

Last edited:
Vernors is most found around the northern states. And like John said there really is not a substitute for it, you could get away with Canuk Dry, but Sprite, that is Lemon Lime, not Ginger. I would not use the Sprite, that would change the flavor of the recipe all together. Check Amazon, should be able to get it there.

Kroger's here carries it, you may be able to get it special order, or you could try Walmart too. If you were going to really try it, I could send you some.
I have NEVER been to yankeee land (up north) and have been able to find Vernors any time I have looked for it, in any of the Southern States. Maybe they know Texicans just won't appreciate the taste and refreshing effects of it. :D

I do agree that if a recipe calls for Vernors, it will be changed by the substitution of Ginger Ale, and you'd probably not even recognize the recipe if Sprite were to be substituted.

I think I'll go get a nice cold Vernors from the fridge right now!;)

It's good stuff ain't it Bobby.

Some of my buddies out west have trouble finding it, that and anything Faygo. Both are Detroit brands, but since Vernors has been bought by the Dr.Pepper Group, I would say anywhere Dr. Pepper is sold, you should be able to find it.

Yes Detroit has their own BBQ sauce, it has for years. I have been making some different sauces lately so I thought I would post this up. This version of this sauce was my Grandmothers. She was known for never giving all the ingredients to recipes. I being craft as I am got this recipe from about 6 different relatives that she had given it too. Low and behold I have the only true and full version of this recipe. Now this recipe calls for Vernors pop, you can substitute with ginger ale, but for best results, please try to find some Vernors. Also if you would like fresh black cherries, you can use them, but you have to pit them, and you will need to freeze them, they do need to be frozen. The fresh cherries do give a better flavor though.

Ingredients:

2 cups frozen black cherries
1 cup Vernors
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
1 clove of garlic (creamed use mortar and pestle)
3 TBSP apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder

Instructions:

Combine cherries, Vernors, and sugar in medium pan, over medium high heat, until sugar dissolves. Then turn heat down to medium.

Simmer over medium heat stirring occasionally until it reduces into a thickened liquid consistency

Reduce heat and add remaining ingredients, stirring until thoroughly incorporated. Simmer for 40 minutes.

You can use an immersion blender to get rid of clumpyness of cherries. You will need to run the liquid through a strainer after, to remove pulp

Max,

Sorry for posting on an old thread but I could not pass this up. Either we have the same grandma, have the same relatives or It is pure Irony.

Let me explain. This recipe looks exactly like the one that I developed and shared on the Fox 2 news website 2 years ago.www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/.../how-to-make-detroit-barbecue-sauce I know because I came up with this recipe in MY kitchen specifically for the segment. I explain the reason why I decided to use cherries and Vernors ( since both are indigenous to Michigan). So it seems uncanny that you came up with the exact proportions that I "made up" for this segment. You are right on 2 accounts though: 1) This particular version is not the original and 2) You are right, Detroit does have a BBQ sauce... Mine. Thanks for the flattery though.:butthead:

Also, to everyone else. I do recommend that you use Vernors if you can as there is no substitute. If you know what the original flavor profile is supposed to be like then you WILL be able to tell.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom