Smoker box rust question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosko

Sous Chef
YO!!
my smoker box is starting to rust and it is less then a year old
What do you guys do to stop the bad rust process?

What is a smoker box? If that is the little thing with louvers which is loaded with chips an placed in the gasser? I would just go buy another or somebody be glad to mail you one for the shipping and handling charges. Now if we speaking of a firebox on a manly man type bbq pit..we need more info like where is the rust starting and finishing etc. Hopefully it aint afflicting the insulated firebox. Give more scoop thanks. What is up with cooking all that stuff in the foil pans? I own two and have used one daily for five years at least. Get a grip here.

Last edited:
Get some sand paper, and sand it down, get some high heat paint and repaint it. It is rusting because the manufacturer uses cheap paint, that really does not stand up to heat all that well. A can should run you about maybe $10. Put a couple coats on, that should hold you.

Mr Obvious is obvious.........Wow!!!! I never thought of sand paper and paint.

Not even sure why I posted this thread,,,,,,next thing you know I'll ask what do you do when you are hungry....or better yet what do you do when you are thirsty!!!!

I thought I typed how OFTEN do you guys sand and paint.......my bad!!

Last edited:
What is a smoker box? If that is the little thing with louvers which is loaded with chips an placed in the gasser? I would just go buy another or somebody be glad to mail you one for the shipping and handling charges. Now if we speaking of a firebox on a manly man type bbq pit..we need more info like where is the rust starting and finishing etc. Hopefully it aint afflicting the insulated firebox. Give more scoop thanks. What is up with cooking all that stuff in the foil pans? I own two and have used one daily for five years at least. Get a grip here.

Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp really?????

wjdn2a.jpg

Last edited:
I have never seen any paint that will stand up to a firebox temps over time.

I usually have some spray cooking oil around and I spray the outside down when it is hot. And again when it cools. The oil will harden like varnish (season a cast iron pan) when it gets hot. You can wipe on some rendered fat from inside with the same results.

AND NEVER LET THE ASHES IN THE FIREBOX GET WET! They will corrode that side without fail. Same fix: mix rendered fat from the cooking side with the ashes and scoop out the mixture and wipe down the inside to leave a thin coat of grease, and the inside will not get wet as easily.

We would call the left arrow a horizontal section down here in God's Country. Like the nice fellow say...knock of the rust and give it some high temp paint. The other area needs grease if it aint insulated. If it is..it needs paint too.

I have never seen any paint that will stand up to a firebox temps over time.

I usually have some spray cooking oil around and I spray the outside down when it is hot. And again when it cools. The oil will harden like varnish (season a cast iron pan) when it gets hot. You can wipe on some rendered fat from inside with the same results.

AND NEVER LET THE ASHES IN THE FIREBOX GET WET! They will corrode that side without fail. Same fix: mix rendered fat from the cooking side with the ashes and scoop out the mixture and wipe down the inside to leave a thin coat of grease, and the inside will not get wet as easily.

That does sound like a good idea!!!!

Mine rusted through this spring, it is 7 or 8 years old and left out in the weather all year. I am going to line it with a thin metal plate and hopefully next spring replace it. For one as young as yours I would sand it or sand blast it and paint with a could layers of engine paint.

Our dear Fred is 3/8" inch steel plate all over. The drunk welder who built it said it would still be good to pass off to the great grand kids one fine day. He sits outside all year round. The rusty spots which dont get hot..gets high temp paint. The hot parts get sprayed with PAM..sometimes. Sanding stuff is wimmen's work. Or maybe a job for injuneers and math majors.

Back
Top Bottom