Cooking times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfleck

Assistant Cook
I am planning on smoking 2 boston butts on my Traeger this weekend. I have read a wide range of cooking times. What should I expect for 2 nine pound butts? I was planning on the smoke setting which is approx. 180 for x amount of hours, or should I smoke for x amount of hours and then raise to 225 for x amount of hours?

Welcome to The Forum, plan on 1.25 - 2 hours per pound of the larger butt, so ball park 12 - 18 hours. Can't tell you about the "smoke setting" I usually cook at 225° to about an internal of 190°.

Welcome. I have an old ex pal who peddles those things. He likes to give it smoke only for a couple of hours then crank it up to cook. 275-300 is ideal for butts. Not sure I would try to warm it to death at 180. Might work. Let us know. Thanks.

Thanks, that's what I figured from what I have read, smoke a few hours then crank it up. Need a digital thermometer but haven't got it yet so will have to make do.

I'm not too familiar with the treager. That's a set - it - and - forget - it machine, like the Bradley? If you don't have a thermometer, the bone will tell you when it's done. When you think it's getting close, give that bone a tug, when it pulls out clean and fairly easy, it's time to rest and pull.

Don't let the internal temperature get above 195, if you do it will be like mush.

I would cook it 225 minimum, no need to cook it any lower than that IMO. Last one I cooked I did do at 275 for most of the cook and it was one of the best ones I have done. I did a couple of things different so I can't say cooking at 275 was the trick. Also cook be feel not temp, when the butts get around 190 check for doneness. Pull them when your probe goes in like butter in several different spots regardless of temperature.

Back
Top Bottom