BB Ribs - round 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbo342000

Assistant Cook
OK
Givin the BB Ribs another try this weekend.
Workin on the 2-1-1 method this time thanks to the advice you all gave.
Changed the rub also. Went with a Memphis style so I wouldn't accidentally burn the sugar.
Half way through , just wrapped them and they are lookin good.
Still don't have a handle on temp yet. Spent the 1st hour tryin to keep it under 250.
Seems I started with waaaaaaaay too many coals. Used a chimney full and probably should have started with 25% of that.
Still havin trouble posting pics from my phone.
I promise I'll try to fix that today

Cheers

Effort and nice conversation of honesty goes a long way with me man.
Sounds good so far, pics would be a nice touch..........

Success
Ribs turned out great. For my 2nd try they are awesome. I ate a whole rack myself.
Funny how drinking beer all day smoking meat makes you crazy hungry. ( note to self: make snacks). The apple pie moonshine probably didn't help either ?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379288752.253956.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1379288767.797939.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1379288779.827628.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1379288790.878763.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1379288801.266191.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1379288810.036466.jpg

Oh yeah the taste
I like spicy, so I put extra cayenne in the rub. And extra paprika
If you have ever heard of or had sticky fingers ribs. They tasted a lot like that but with a little more kick.
I prefer dry rub/ no sauce. It's all about meat for me usually. However I did thin out some SWB for a glaze.

Here is the rub recipe
Memphis style rib rub:
5 tsp. Sweet Hungarian paprika
2 tsp. Kosher salt
1 tsp. Black pepper
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
1 tsp. Chili powder
1 tsp. Garlic granules
1 tsp. Onion powder (Makes about 1⁄4 cup of rub)

Thanks again for all the help.
Next up is some butt so I can work on temp management. I'm thinking a longer smoke will give me more time to play with it.

They will only get better. be prepared to slap someone after you bite in, if you keep listening to these guys. I had to slap my dog, after just looking at a picture of bosko's pineapple ribs.

Looking mighty good. Congrats on the fine efforts and results. Now that rub needs some sugar..and what are you doing drinking that crappy beer? lol. They put it on sale for a buck at the local watering hole one day. I am a cheap skate but just flat could not stand to save money being punished like that. Nearly quite drinking over it..lol. Seriously..add some sugar. That could be Wild Willys if you did that...but then that would make it a brisket rub. Try Southern Succor sometime. Its my favorite for spicy ribs and butts so its bound to be right..lol. I like to tweak it with a big dose of lemon pepper. Really brightens it up.

Southern Succor Rub

1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
2 Tablespoons table salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Mix ingredients thoroughly. Makes enough rub for one pork butt

Thanks for the rub recipe
I will try that on my next smoke
Maybe a butt or maybe a loin. Haven't decided yet. Probably depends on what the bargain is at SAMs

Gotcha on that. Either of them fine pig pieces is a wonderful experience. If you land on the loins..try cutting it thick steaks...2 hrs in the hot water movie star brine...then four mins per side on a hot grill. Wonderful stuff.

Back
Top Bottom