First Pig Roast. Advice Please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wjelmer

Assistant Cook
So my graduation party is this weekend and we will be roasting a small pig. I've searched a lot and have a general idea of how to do it but have few questions. I rented a spit and ordered a 40-50# pig.

First question is whether to brine or not. I have a giant rubbermaid and have read a lot, some say brine in salt water others just say put on ice. I will be picking it up the day before roasting. What do you suggest?

How long should I cook a 40-50 pounder, obviously I will need to check temp but estimate on time so I know when to start. (I have heard anywhere fro 4 to 8 hours)

What do you guys stuff your pig with?

Where can I get stainless steel wire (I've checked home depot and the local metal supply place) ?

Thanks in advance.

If you are going to brine it I would suggest you pick it up a day or two earlier, generally when you brine it is for atleast 24 hours or more. Not to mention the brine is just not saltwater, you add other things to it depending on what you are going to grill, or smoke. A real general brine is:

1 gallon water
2 cups of sugar
2 cups kosher salt

What ever you decide you will want the sugar and the salt to be equal.

As far as time of cooking, that all depends on how you are cooking it, and at what temperature.

Stuffing the pig, me since all that I have done have been smoked, NOTHING. Adding a sort of stuffing will impede on you cooking time. If you want to have a stuffing for looks I would cook the hog, and the stuffing separately, then before your guests arrive, add the stuffing to the hog.

As far as the steel wire, I would check where they make picture frames or something of that nature. It does not have to be stainless steel , it can be any kind of steel, other than some that has a galvanized coating, or is coated with lead.

Also you may want to go over to the introduction forum, and post up an intro about yourself....

Hope this helps.

The forum in my link is all but DEAD*, so I don't think I'll get in trouble for posting this, but if any of the MODS here have a problem with my post, just delete it. :(

National Barbecue News Forums - How to cook Whole Hog... Crawdad Creek <Long>

that's a LOT of good information in there

I have never, ever heard of anyone brining a whole pig/hog. Injecting, yes, brining, NO.

BOB
*none of the modulators on that forum have been on there for several years...:confused::confused:

Brining would be kinda pointless on that. I have never brined a whole hog either, always injected them.

Last edited:
The forum in my link is all but DEAD*, so I don't think I'll get in trouble for posting this, but if any of the MODS here have a problem with my post, just delete it. :(

National Barbecue News Forums - How to cook Whole Hog... Crawdad Creek <Long>

that's a LOT of good information in there

I have never, ever heard of anyone brining a whole pig/hog. Injecting, yes, brining, NO.

BOB
*none of the modulators on that forum have been on there for several years...:confused::confused:

Looks like they moved the board to this location: National Barbecue News Forums

Know from listening to a bunch of palaver over the years a whole hawg do not feed as many folks as a person might think..so double check on if you will have enough meat. The big boys seem to try to cook small one for show and everybody get a bite..and fill in the meat ration with butts. Never heard of anybody brining a whole hog..but Danny Gaulden recommended it for wild hogs..which tend to be lean and skinny. Doubt a tame one would need that. Anyhow here is another link which purports to give some scoop on the topic. I did not read enough of it to see if they were recommending something silly..so report back when you have formulated a game plan. Thanks.

Section 10.1.4

Back
Top Bottom