Gotta Love a Good Poboy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookking

Sous Chef
Around noon today I was out running an errand and was getting a bit hungry. I scrolled my cell phone and sure enough I had the number for Kid Creole on Airline and it had been a while since I was there so I called and placed an order. Since I have given up Roast Beef Poboys as one of the things I gave up for Lent I decided to order a Ham & Swiss poboy. I got there and was able to talk with Daryl(the owner)for a few minutes before my sandwich was ready so off I went back to the office to enjoy my lunch.
Oh, I also ordered some fries too!
img_256625_0_890ec21db4d67ff12d573395d15b7e7c.jpg

Man! That was a good ham sandwich!!! Perfectly crisp bread and delicious ham. I was stuffed for the rest of the day.

Sorry guys, I know y'all don't have the access to the great poboy sandwiches like we do here but if you ever visit the area make sure to try a few. You could try to make them eslewhere but it really is about the foundation being the bread. You can't make the bread anywhere else like this except in the geweral New Orleans area.
People as close as 70 miles away(Baton Rouge)complain that someone should be able to deliver the bread there and someone may do so but apparently not enough. My friend in north Alabama buys several loaves when he visits and freezes them for when he wants a good sandwich.

Well. earlier this morning I started thinking about lunch and Kid Creole's Meatball Poboy was on the top of the list. I decided to beat the bad weather coming in so about 11:30 I headed over to pick up what turned out to be a fantastic melt in your mouth meatball poboy. I really intended not to eat the whole thing but it was so good I couldn't stop.
img_256663_0_c799eeb260e41b0571f89c8f34a44bf7.jpg

I wouldn't have!
Got me thinking on the bread thing. We ran out of regular hogie rolls today. I used a baggette instead for po' boys.
Trag, any idea what makes that bread down there so good?

I hear that they use a special kind of yeast for one thing but I can't say that's 100% true. The main thing that makes the bread here so special has something to do with the humidity(high humidity here).
The ovens that they bake the bread in have steam released during the baking process and that makes for the light and airy bread and crisp crumb.
When you can get frsh warm loaves here you can eat almost a whole loaf with just butter.

Hmm, I always thought yeast was yeast?
Not a baker here by any means myself. But I do know that weather plays a big part in the baking process.
Damn man, I know have one more thing to research! ;)

I think we have seen this pic before where somebody had ruined the event by putting green stuff on there. I am getting acid reflux. Fresh tomaters? No. Hey those yeast infections can be a biotch. Hang tough.

The water has a lot to do with it also. For the humidity part, bakers will some times throw a few ice cubes in the bottom of the oven when they start to bake.

Back
Top Bottom