Charcoal Basket.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Missing Link

Sous Chef
I need some help with a plan to build me a charcoal basket hear is the size i like to have 13Lx12Dx5H any help a way should I weld it are will nuts an bolts be ok.

Thanks for the Help?
Missing Link.

The Missing Link said:
Ok Larry you have been hitting the hard stuff yet have you. 8-[ 8-[

I look at it like this, if you use the milk crate using the MM, you will have a couple hours before the grate burns! 8-[

Here's one from someone called "Buckspin" on Basso's forum with no welds....

Per KJ's design, I started & finished my no welds charcoal basket tonite, and I am very pleased with it. Its 9" wide x 12" long x 7 1/2" inches deep, with a 22ga steel arched baffle that peaks at 9". My firebox is a 15" cylinder, and this fits very nicely (I roughed it out of chipboard first)

I followed KJ's design, with a few changes. To increase the spread of the basket I angled the side walls out slightly at 10 degrees (like a keystone), at which point the top opening is now 11" wide. This was mainly to provide more baffle coverage over the far edges of the firebox opening. The arched peak just crests above the top of the firebox opening to prevent direct heat flow from the embers.

I also added 4 legs via 1 1/2" bolts to increase air flow all around (especially underneath) the basket. As it is now it has a 3" clearance directly above, below & laterally, and about 2" of clearance at the corners.

The base & sides are 1 solid piece of 12" x 24" 18ga stretched steel folded at 7 1/2" in from the edges. I cut a 9" x 7 1/2" piece of stretched steel for the back, and a 9" x 7 1/2" arched piece of 22ga steel for the baffle wall. This was the only piece that required drilling (5 holes total). The whole thing is held together with 1/4" bolts, with washers inside the nuts on the inside for extra grab. The strength/reinforcement comes from a piece of 36" long 18ga pre-drilled angle brace that I cut into 4 7 1/2" long corner pieces. Those pre-drilled holes & the stretched steel openings matched up great for the bolts, 4 at each corner, top & bottom. I then took the remaining 6" piece of angle brace and cut it in half to use as 2 3" reinforcements on the base connections to the front & back walls.
Basket2.jpg

Lemme know if you can't see that image...I had to change it a couple times.

You should be able to make that out of one piece of expanded metal and some wire (no welds). Layout the flat pattern to look (sort of) like a Maltese Cross and then just fold up the four sides. Use the wire to 'stich' the sides to each other. Although, I would weld it if you know how.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom