Sweet and Spicy Apple BBQ Sauce (under experimentation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TAC1

Mobile Pitmaster
In the yard with my grill, back in the boonies of
As the name implies, I am experimenting with BBQ sauce with an apple base. I made a test batch today and it was interestingly sweet and spicy.

It contains: unsweetened apple sauce, apple cider vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, red pepper, garlic powder, dried chopped onion, paprika, oregano, and chili powder.

I don't have an exact recipe since it is still under development but if it interest you I can try to send you what I have so far. I will try to add the exact recipe when i have it figured out... -_-

It kinda has the texture of apple sauce but that can be expected and it is the color of well, the commercialized BBQ sauces.

Sounds mighty yummy. Keeps us posted. Thanks.

As the name implies, I am experimenting with BBQ sauce with an apple base. I made a test batch today and it was interestingly sweet and spicy.

It contains: unsweetened apple sauce, apple cider vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, red pepper, garlic powder, dried chopped onion, paprika, oregano, and chili powder.

I don't have an exact recipe since it is still under development but if it interest you I can try to send you what I have so far. I will try to add the exact recipe when i have it figured out... -_-

It kinda has the texture of apple sauce but that can be expected and it is the color of well, the commercialized BBQ sauces.

If your gonna attempt it I will have to tell you that you heat the mixture in a pan, then let it slow simmer for a while. Really I guess it's personal preference on thickness so just simmer it till you think it's ready. I do know I started with 1 can of unsweetened applesauce, and I think I put the ingredients in the right order from most to least.

From having piddled with apple based products a few times over the years and engaging in extended informative conversations with our old Spice guru pal named Joe Ames it was generally determined the apple flavor can be hard to translate into being very "appley" in the finished product when using natural ingredients. The same basic premise applies to real Maple syrup also. Joe claimed for either of those substances the Doctor would call for some little artificial flavor addendums. Course he sold small bottles of the essences for both..so he could be said to have a dawg in the fight..lol. Hope you aint trying to use anything with Motts wrote on it. That stuff is nasty. Tree Top is a bunch better.

Last edited:
I went out and got all the components for this and gave it a try, but with my little twist on it. I will post the recipe in a new thread.

Back
Top Bottom