Beef Brisket Cook with Early Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Doing my first full packer cut brisket...ever. Put this one on at 9:45pm last night, using Kamado Coconut Charcoal, 3 chunks of Pecan and 3 chunks of Cherry. Meat was rubbed with Worsty Sauce and Texas BBQ Rub Brisket Blend. NU-701 remotes keeping me informed.

Here are some early pictures:

http://community.webshots.com/album/428617828FlZceD

I don't know yet it's only 12:24 am, it's not quite done. It's only been on for about 3 hours, it's got a ways to go. I'll let you know though...it smells goooood.

Bruce B said:
I don't know yet it's only 12:24 am, it's not quite done. It's only been on for about 3 hours, it's got a ways to go. I'll let you know though...it smells goooood.
I see your post at 10pm and ya said ... 'put on at 9:45pm last night' ... so I thought you put it on last night .... anyway .... I still think it looks good

Morning report.

Went to sleep about 2:30 this morning and woke up at 7am, WSM just hummin along at 224, meat was at 159.

Will be foiling when it hits 170-175 then back on to 190. More pics at the 170 mark.

Sorry Bruce, Stupid question, If you take it to 170 why wrap? You only have 20 more to go. What do you think will happen if you don't foil it? I'm not being a wise guy, I'd like to know your reasoning. Thanks.

You know what Pigs, I don't know, I was just following some advice I have gotten from several other folks and that was my plan, I don't suppose nothing bad would happen if I didn't foil it. Still working on my first cup of coffee, nuff of the hard questions. Seriously, I thought the foil would help with the tenderness issue, perhaps I'm wrong.

I take it you're not a foiler.

I have done it both ways with no real difference...except a lot of juice in the foil...Looks like a good start Bruce! =D>

I can see foiling if you use no water pan and the temp is a little too high. Maybe. Guess I'll foil one to see for myself. Thanks to all for your input. I'm sure it makes a difference if its a whole packer, Or a flat. I like burnt ends though, That's got a lot to do with it too.

Flat is foiled and wrapped and resting in the cooler. The point is chopped, lightly sauced and backl on the cooker. It sure tasted good.

more pics posted at original link above.

Thanks guys, and as a matter of fact I am sitting here right now working on my second brisket sandwich with Billy Bones BBQ sauce. It turned out really well. Couple things I don't understand; hardly any smoke ring, don't know why. When slicing it tended to fall apart at the ends. Held up great for the whole slice except the end.

Smoke flavor was great, brisket flavor, (not pot roast) was great. Probably on a scale of 1-10....a high 7.

Burnt ends were fantastic.

You know Bryan, I'm sure it does and I had every intention of having chipotle mayo on my brisket sandwiches. That is until I went to the refrig yesterday to get my chipotle peppers en adobo sauce which I had secreted in a small tupperware container and lo and behold they are nowhere to be found.

So I question the little woman if she threw my chipotle peppers away, to which she replied, "Yeah, I thought they were old." They had been in ther about a week I guess.

Guess your definition of old has alot to do with this. #-o #-o

Back
Top Bottom