Which charcoal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kingsford, just because lump is hard to find here and wau more expensive. They make equally good burgers, IMO

I cant seem to find selection C..or maybe it woud be P for our propane friend. Now I do have the Warden looking for the newspaper grill. That makes the best burgers in town..and its a good way to get rid of the liberals rags which passes for newspapers nowadays. Foul charcoal has not dirtied my hands in several years. I aint missed it a bit.

I'm with Wittdog, but like most have a hard time finding it. Even WW only carries Royal Oak during prime grilling season. Wonder if that has something to do with the Sam's Club BBQ Championship and some hookup with the Kingsford.

Put it this way. We won 1st in pork and GC at Stagecoach. We forfeited $1300 by not entering Kingsford. The rules were that we needed to have the big 2 pack on camp and cook with at least 20 lbs. When the Kingsford rep asked why we did not enter (having 10 beers in me) I joked if we had cooked with Kingsford we wouldn’t have won it. There were a lot of laughs. And I actually back peddled and felt kind of bad for insulting someone’s product. He did pull me aside and ask me to explain. I told him I feel weird cooking my food over all the funk inside of it. The smell alone should tell you something just aint right. He recommended competition K and I told him the performance just isn’t there. We use RO for the clean flavor and we also like Stubbs but we switched to RO due to massive ash we got from the Stubbs. This is just my opinion. On the contrary Harry Soo is the best cook around here in the west and the winingest man in these parts. He cooks with it religiously. I’ve seen it and worst of all I smell it when he’s up wind. I think there isn’t any other charcoal that out performs Blue K. I just can’t get past the choking stinky smoke. My vote is Royal Oak Lump Charcoal. Just sift through it you’ll get some insulation and rocks in it from time to time.

Last edited:
I like Stubbs. All of the ash just falls out of the way, but I do have to dmp more than if I used something else.

we needed to have the big 2 pack on camp and cook with at least 20 lbs

That would be a problem for me right now. My Baby Stump's Smoker won't use 20 pounds in a contest cook, even if I could get past the smell.

BOB

Ozark Oak is the best there is. Suitable for fast cooking chores of delicate meats..chicken..possum...cat etc. For big cuts use the stuff from Mejico in the forty pound bags. I forget now who was flashing an ad for B and B..but that is the nasitest sootiest crap I ever used. The mesquite version pops more often than Orval Reddenbacker..just seen today where he went to popcorn heaven back in 95. I thought he was still alive since he was on TV just the other day. Any any rate dont use that crap. Now do not not try the big mesquite in anything resembling an R2d2 type gizmo cuz it do not work and its too sooty for most stuff too. Takes a real pit to make that one walk and talk. lol. The major wholesale grocery companies peddle the big bags. Might be somewhere else to buy it nowadays. Last bags I had said Chef's Choice or something similar. Come from Syso about 12 bucks a bag. Stuff is unbeatable for big meats on big pits..depending on the goal of course. Great for upright direct if a person has room to work on the head space. Shorter distance if using the optional water pan.

Well I think what is meant here is S. Texas Mesquite burnt to coal and shovled. Right? Now I hear of some of the hill country bohunks shovel oak. Not sure whut is up with that. Must be a bad habit brought over from Bohemia or something.

Lump for burgers
Or any hardwood chunks burned down to coals

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom