Ham, burnt ends, and sweet pepper turds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shootthebunnies

Assistant Cook
Going to fire up the smoker for Easter. The following is on the menu.
Ham - going to try a basic ham rub
Sweet Ham Rub
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons all spice
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Enough for 3-5lb ham

Burnt ends - going to take some of the shoulder steaks (1" thick) we have from the locker and cube them up and rub them down and smoke them.
Dixie Meat Rub's - Competition Pork Rub on half
Not sure on the other half yet

Sweet pepper turds - A variation of ATB's only the wife is kind of a wuss. Going to stuff with cream cheese, kielbasa, and some spices.

Thanks
Willis

When I ordered my hog it was the first one I ever ordered. He asked how many people (4) and asked about the size of the roasts etc... So he basically trimmed the butts down to 3.5-4lbs. The 1"- 11/4" steaks, are the cut offs to get the weights. I didn't even have the smoker nor knew how to use it when I ordered the pig or the cow.

I am going put rub on them and smoke them until they get a good bark. I'm thinking 190 for 3-4 hours? Then cut them up into bite size cubes and adding a little sauce in a tray and back onto the smoker for 30 minutes or so?

I have never done or had anything like this, have any of you ever tried something like this? Do you think it will turn out like little bites of bark heaven?

shootthebunnies said:
When I ordered my hog it was the first one I ever ordered. He asked how many people (4) and asked about the size of the roasts etc... So he basically trimmed the butts down to 3.5-4lbs. The 1"- 11/4" steaks, are the cut offs to get the weights. I didn't even have the smoker nor knew how to use it [size=150[color=#BF0040]]when I ordered the pig or the cow[/color].[/size]

I am going put rub on them and smoke them until they get a good bark. I'm thinking 190 for 3-4 hours? Then cut them up into bite size cubes and adding a little sauce in a tray and back onto the smoker for 30 minutes or so?

I have never done or had anything like this, have any of you ever tried something like this? Do you think it will turn out like little bites of bark heaven?

You have both a pig & a cow in the freezer?

Used a different rub on the ham, the wife didn't want a sweet rub so went with this instead.

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
3 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne
2 teaspoons dry mustard

Ham is resting in foil in the cooler as I post.

The burnt ends are a failure, or at least for what I was going for.
Dixie Meat Rub's I put on the first set, - Competition Pork Rub is outstanding!

On the other set I used Smokehouse PHAT (Pretty Hot And Tasty) Rub - AWFUL!!!! My mom picked it up in the Amana Colonies and said it was some of the best BBQ she has ever had. She needs to have her taste buds examined!

Will get some pics up later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom