Lang smoker cookers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John20

Assistant Cook
Hey BBQ Friends! Any body ever cook on a Lang or know anything about them?!! I'm looking for a competition cooker and I'm getting overwhelmed with all of the choices that are out there! Help!!! :)>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lang is a great brand of smokers. Ben Lang is a great person. Many succesful BBQ teans have cooked on Langs.

I consider a Lang as one of the best "Log Hogs" meaning you have to feed it a log every now and then. I prefer to get some leep, but in my younger days, yeah, it was fun staying up all night drinking beer and throwing on a log every 30 minutes to maybe an hour to control the temperature. Ahhhhhhh! The memories.

BOB
Who prefers my gravity fed smokers since I am geting OLD!

I can't decide between a Backwoods Fatboy or a Lang 48 trailer model.
a6cd0ab6-ea54-afc4.jpg
a6cd0ab6-ea81-16c2.jpg

Those two choices, I would go with the Lang. Both are good cookers, but I just like the Lang better. I have cooked on both, but I guess that I just didn't appreciate the set up of the charcoal basket and the water pan in the Fat Boy. I can't really explain what I mean, I just was never comfortable with the Fat Boy. Don't get me wrong, it cooked some great food and took less tending than the Lang, but it just wasn't me.

BOB

We went with cookers that can be loaded in a an inclosed trailer. This is because pulling a smoker wouldn't allow for all our supplies to be loaded. We would have to have one truck pull the inclosed trailer and one pull the smoker. Not a good option for our team.

P.S. I know two teams that complain about the lack of space in the 48. One team bought a backwoods and another uses a 22 in wsm in addition to the 48. Consider how much you need to cook. We also cook peoples choice out here alot which requires lots of space.

Have a Lang 36 patio model and love it. Does require a good bit of your attention, I like to tinker so it is right up my alley. Agree with Bob, Mr. Ben Lang is a very honorable fellow. Met him last summer when I pickeded up my cooker at his facility. He agreed to meet me Saturday morning, they are usually closed on weekends, he was willing to accomodate my busy schedule at the time. Good luck with whichever cooker you decide on, either one would be a fine addition. Also have 2 WSM's and a UDS, still use them quite often for butts and longer sessions.

Unless you get free wood cut split and delivered as needed...I would vote for the Fatboy.

Used to be a gentleman from E. Texas..around Kilgore I think..who built Georgia Cookers which looked about like a Lang but cost around half as much. Not sure he is still around. Fella from Jouston was coking on one next to us at Traders Village one year. Googled around and found this link. Looks like they are pretty proud of em. Might not be the same place as the fella who runs this place seems to be some kind of college graduate. http://www.easttexassmokercompany.com/C ... ooker.html

I cook on Ben Lang's team when I can find the time! If you are planning on cooking in comps, think about the 84. More room. Most people cook 1-2 Briskets, 2-3 Butts, 12-18 Thighs and 3-5 Racks of Ribs. The 84 gives you the room to do that. And the different levels can give you a 25 -50 degree difference, so you can cook at different temps on the same cooker.

I know this is an old thread, but I love my Lang. I enjoy tending the fire and the look of a big offset. I have done a quite a few of cooks for party's. It is fun to use, yes you have to keep feeding it wood about every 45 minutes but for me this is a passion. I have a oven in my house, and a microwave. But for me there is nothing that compares to getting up at 4 in the morning and lighting the fire. and tending the fire. It is not for everyone, I would buy it again in a heartbeat

That Fatty be the best friend you might have on the cooking trail. Not sure what the injuneers was smoking who first thunk up the Georgia Cookers..of which Lang is one and maybe the biggest. Used to be an old codger over amongst the E. Texas grit eaters who make you an exact clone for half the money. He might still be alive. Dont make me explain all the laws of physics which the design happens to try to break. It aint pleasant. A nice Japaneso person who come up with such a no cooking peece o sheet monstrosity would get fired from his job and have to commit hari kari etc. Most likely.

I can't decide between a Backwoods Fatboy or a Lang 48 trailer model.
a6cd0ab6-ea54-afc4.jpg
a6cd0ab6-ea81-16c2.jpg

Last edited:
That Fatty be the best friend you might have on the cooking trail. Not sure what the injuneers was smoking who first thunk up the Georgia Cookers..of which Lang is one and maybe the biggest. Used to be an old codger over amongst the E. Texas grit eaters who make you an exact clone for half the money. He might still be alive. Dont make me explain all the laws of physics which the design happens to try to break. It aint pleasant. A nice Japaneso person who come up with such a no cooking peece o sheet monstrosity would get fired from his job and have to commit hari kari etc. Most likely.
BW, you could put an electric element or a gas burner in the Lang, but why mess with almost perfection? I guess you could also cook inside in yourwife's oven, too. But it won't taste as good either way.;) What's with all the hate for fires and wood/wood products? You been sniffing too much mesquite fumes and smoke? Now that noxious weed will surely turn anybody against real smoking and real BBQ.

BOB

BW, you could put an electric element or a gas burner in the Lang, but why mess with almost perfection? I guess you could also cook inside in yourwife's oven, too. But it won't taste as good either way.;) What's with all the hate for fires and wood/wood products? You been sniffing too much mesquite fumes and smoke? Now that noxious weed will surely turn anybody against real smoking and real BBQ.

BOB

I would never put a gas option on a stick burner, the safety's would cost too much if you don't you are building a bomb, and if you do invest in the safety's required you still may be building a bomb. I can provide pictures of what has happened

Lang cookers

I love my lang smoker cooker the revese flow along whith the sear plate create the finest taste in bbq (imho) personaly i would go whith a 60 or an 84 over a 48 there are several differant configerations to chose from and ben lang is a grate guy:rock:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom