Whatuh ya'll cooken tomorrow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tri Tip

Head Chef
I got a 10 lb rib roast going on the SM Grill over a red oak fire. The misses also picked up another 5 lb to go with that. She said the 10 pounder just didn't look big enough. Thant's my kind of woman! Our family is about 35-45 people. My job has been the roast for the past two years. Which is good. Don't care to cook foul too much. Can't wait till Friday to see all the cool methods used to cook em birds, hams and roasts and whatever else. Happy Turkey Day
Mike.

Love that picture. I have a 19 pound free range bird that I have been forbidden to do over live fire so I guess he will go in the oven tomorrow. Go figure women :? Mine is the white one :shock:

Your posts have talked me into grilling the turkey on the kettle. The winds are supposed to be between 40-50 mph, so the WSM is out of the picture. The bird is just a shade under 13 lbs. and I'm going to go with an herb brine. I've never tried this before, but it sounds like a fun way to cook a turkey. I was curious how much charcoal you used to start off if you don't mind me asking. I'm guessing probably a full chimney starter divided on each side of the drip pan? Thanks, and your rib roast feast sounds epic!

We are wih my wife's family on the Oregon coast, about 35 of us. My oldest son and are cooking 2 rib roasts, 8 pounder and a 10 pounder, and smoking a turkey tomorrow. The weather here is reall crappy. Rain and a lot of wind. My son lives here in Oregon and brought his WSM. Hopefully pics will follow.

bbquzz said:
Love that picture. I have a 19 pound free range bird that I have been forbidden to do over live fire so I guess he will go in the oven tomorrow. Go figure women :? Mine is the white one :shock:

Your wife is the white one?

Turkey, stuffing, stuffed mushrooms, mashed taters, sweet taters, red cabbage, green bean casserole, cranberry mold, apple pie, rice pudding. Damn, I'm full already!

Nick Prochilo said:
bbquzz said:

Turkey, stuffing, stuffed mushrooms, mashed taters, sweet taters, red cabbage, green bean casserole, cranberry mold, apple pie, rice pudding. Damn, I'm full already!

You're the man Nick :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Crabnbass said:
Your posts have talked me into grilling the turkey on the kettle. The winds are supposed to be between 40-50 mph, so the WSM is out of the picture. The bird is just a shade under 13 lbs. and I'm going to go with an herb brine. I've never tried this before, but it sounds like a fun way to cook a turkey. I was curious how much charcoal you used to start off if you don't mind me asking. I'm guessing probably a full chimney starter divided on each side of the drip pan? Thanks, and your rib roast feast sounds epic![/quote

13 lbs is perfect for a 22" kettle. I once cooked a 23 lb on my 27” kettle. The dang lid barely shut. Sounds like the brine will be perfect. I know the Blue bag Kingsford gets a lot of grief around here, I don't like it too much myself but I’ve used on several birds and they came out the best. Lump put a weird smoky flavor and also didn't bun long enough. Had to add more during the cook. Fill your chimney till it's overflowing. Dump half on each side. Your top coals should be not quite lit yet. If you wait for the top 1/4 to be on fire you'll burn up too much of the bottom coals. Bring up the kettle to temp/preheat for a couple of minutes and add the bird to the grill grate with a drip pan empty on your charcoal grate. Truss the bird so the legs and arms are not flopping around. Put foil around wing tips. Also add foil about an hour into the cook to the top of the bird. Just lightly tent and only if it’s getting too brown. About 45 min to an hour I also add foil strips to the sides of the bird down toward the underside. This will keep the sides closest to the coal from getting burned. The kettle will be 475+ degrees. And in 2 hours or so toward the end of the cook you’ll be at 325-350. Cook with the vents all wide open. The bird should be done somewhere around 2 to 2.5 hours. I check the temp in the breast by inserting a thermometer (Thermopen) under the skin at the opening of the caucus not to puncture the skin. Pull the bird at 165 in the breast and let it rest at least 20 minutes. Do not cover it or you will steam your crispy skin. You can also use a remote thermometer so you can keep an eye on it the whole time the bird is comming up to temp. Lastly prior to cooking, I let the bird set out to come almost up to room temp. I do this outside where it will only be about 60 degrees where I live. This has been argued to be a safety issue so this is up to you. This method helps it cook faster and much more even. The inside is done closer to the outside. Good luck.

Tri Tip said:
Crabnbass said:
Your posts have talked me into grilling the turkey on the kettle. The winds are supposed to be between 40-50 mph, so the WSM is out of the picture. The bird is just a shade under 13 lbs. and I'm going to go with an herb brine. I've never tried this before, but it sounds like a fun way to cook a turkey. I was curious how much charcoal you used to start off if you don't mind me asking. I'm guessing probably a full chimney starter divided on each side of the drip pan? Thanks, and your rib roast feast sounds epic![/quote

13 lbs is perfect for a 22" kettle. I once cooked a 23 lb on my 27” kettle. The dang lid barely shut. Sounds like the brine will be perfect. I know the Blue bag Kingsford gets a lot of grief around here, I don't like it too much myself but I’ve used on several birds and they came out the best. Lump put a weird smoky flavor and also didn't bun long enough. Had to add more during the cook. Fill your chimney till it's overflowing. Dump half on each side. Your top coals should be not quite lit yet. If you wait for the top 1/4 to be on fire you'll burn up too much of the bottom coals. Bring up the kettle to temp/preheat for a couple of minutes and add the bird to the grill grate with a drip pan empty on your charcoal grate. Truss the bird so the legs and arms are not flopping around. Put foil around wing tips. Also add foil about an hour into the cook to the top of the bird. Just lightly tent and only if it’s getting too brown. About 45 min to an hour I also add foil strips to the sides of the bird down toward the underside. This will keep the sides closest to the coal from getting burned. The kettle will be 475+ degrees. And in 2 hours or so toward the end of the cook you’ll be at 325-350. Cook with the vents all wide open. The bird should be done somewhere around 2 to 2.5 hours. I check the temp in the breast by inserting a thermometer (Thermopen) under the skin at the opening of the caucus not to puncture the skin. Pull the bird at 165 in the breast and let it rest at least 20 minutes. Do not cover it or you will steam your crispy skin. You can also use a remote thermometer so you can keep an eye on it the whole time the bird is comming up to temp. Lastly prior to cooking, I let the bird set out to come almost up to room temp. I do this outside where it will only be about 60 degrees where I live. This has been argued to be a safety issue so this is up to you. This method helps it cook faster and much more even. The inside is done closer to the outside. Good luck.

Perfect! Thanks again for all the info!

bbquzz said:
Nick Prochilo said:
bbquzz said:

You're the man Nick :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Now comes a dilemma, I wake up this morning, sick as a dog and have to cook the food and get it to my in-laws instead of eating here. My father - in - law is fighting leukemia and has to stay as germ free as possible! Sounds like dinner in possible!

Hey Nick tell Paw Paw we are praying hard for him. Bet your meal will turn out great. Just using some edumacated guessing on that part:) Happy T Day to all yet again. Kindly tell Cleopatra I said hi.

As much as I hate to bring a 3 year old thread back to life, I would like to say that Tri Tip's instructions in reply #10 are essentially the blueprint for a perfectly cooked kettle turkey. I have been doing it this way for the last 3 years and will be doing it again this year. Thanks again for the advice Tri Tip!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom