Pulled Pork Sunday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K9BBQ

Assistant Cook
Was pretty good but somethings I will do different next time but this was still good .

Question-----Is it possible to have too so much rub on the meat that it would hold out some of the smoke flavor in the finished product?

Guess I need to figure out how to put thumbnails pics up . Sorry for the large pics :oops:

No problemo on the big pics. looks yummy. Never heard of the too much rub blocking the smoke angle. What a person has to bear in mind is a butt is a large chunk of meat and the smoke/rub flavor aint gonna penetrate but about 1/4" max. Same sad story on briskets. The key to the proposition is to increase the surface area exposed to the smoke (now this is conditional on having good smoke production to start with of course.) Which would entail cutting the butt half in two and cooking two smaller chunks instead of one big one. Now if you are doing some copious mopping and spritzing with various concoctions as is the custom of some yankees..that is where your smoke flavor and bark went. It got washed away. Hope this helps.

LMAO, K9!!! I laugh cause I've BTDT on the pix. I would much rather have too big of pix than too little.

I know exactly what your talk'n about on the smoke flavor. It's a big hunk of meat, smoke won't "get down up in there". I like to smoke like you did,
pull it and put in an alum foil pan w/juices, then smoke again the next day and add ACV and rub. But, that is just how we like it. I do believe it is kinda
"blah" by itself w/out adding more to it. ( that should stir the pot a bit :twisted: )

Looks great, K9.

Sorry to spoil your little devil horns but think you will find yourself preaching to the choir on the lack of taste...blah factor.. in modern factory raised pork. Same story on chickens. I'm on your side just tell me who we are against so I can get ready to rumble:)

Yeah the pork industry is who is to blame here, they made the other white meat lean mean and no flavor lol...I still love pork but our grand parents had the good stuff. Great giant pics lol it took me a min to find the butt I want a camera that takes life size pics lol

Wasn't the pork industry, it was the consumer(average "Joe") who wanted less fat. Now they are injecting fat back into pork for taste. :shock:

Just gotta work with what ya got.

What gets me is the craze over beef tenderloin. No flavor, just tender. Worst cut on the animal, imho.

Ok, I'll step down off the box for the next guy/gal. :LOL:

Wondered why I didnt buy much beef tenderloin. Guess that lack of flavor is whut does it. I had some at a party one time. Sorta tasted like tissue paper. Now my old dearly deceased pal Joe Ames had a lot of theories on how come meat dont taste right nowadays. In addition to lack of fat such as on hawgs Joe felt that the young slaughter ages had some impact. He was essentially going on about chickens which he said are brought to market so quick they dont have time to develop any flavor. Thats why he said Roasters had a mo chickeny flavor than fryers cuz they was older. Now I did buy a real roaster at the fancy yup grocery store one time and it did taste real chickeny. Found out later in the normal chicken bizness roasters are simply the fryers which outgrew their brethern in the same time frame. So being slightly bigger dont add any additional flavor because they aint no older. Whew.

K9BBQ, No problem, just poking some fun. As far as your question, I may not know much, but one thing I know is that if you put so much rub on a butt that that it can be peeled off like a crust, you may be holding out some of the smoke flavor. Also smoke ring is not actually caused by smoke but moisture. Try putting a pan of water in your cooker to help keep the heat humid. If you do not do this already you may be really happy with the results it provides.

Back
Top Bottom