Pulled pork for a football team

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggo

Cook
I've been approached to cook butts for a college football team for a summer picnic ( no NCAA violations here ok) I think there will be about 70 guys maybe 100, and these are big guys after practice. I am figuring on about 1 lb each to put on multiple sammy's. so if I need 100# of butts, I think I need to start with about 150# lbs losing a 1/3 to shrinkage. someone is in charge of sides which wil be corn on the cob and potato salad.
I know you guys know so what else do I need to know? We have 2 Traeger's to cook it on, (a 75 and the smaller one) but I think we may have to do it in 2 cooks, because 150# should be about 20 butts (I am using 1 butt as they come 2 butts in a package at Sam's), doubt if we can get 20 on the 2 smokers.

Nick Prochilo said:
1 lb. Per person? That sure seems like a lot.
have you ever seen a 21 yr old in great shape that weighs 300# eat?? I might be a little high, but that is just 2 8 oz sammies, right?

to get 100 lbs of pulled pork... you need to start with 200 lb... 50% shrinkage!! Trust me.

For a college football team, if that is the only meat.. I think you will be good. Make sure you have plenty of sides

sandwiches are usually around 4 to 6 oz not 8.

as a follow up, we did the meal last night. I think we had between 80-90. we started with 135 lbs of butts, it yielded around 60 lbs (we didn't weigh anything, but we had 5 10# catering trays over stuffed, so I figured they were around 12# each) we served sides of Mac and chees (kids loved that, we didn't have enough) and corn on the cobb which there was plenty, drinks and cookies, so all was good. We had a little pork 'left over' which means they just took home more sammy's so that was good. We used commercial sauces, Sweet Baby ray's, Montgomery Inn, Cattleman's. By far the winner was Sweet Baby ray's, Cattlemans' was the least fav. they seemed to love it, and thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom