Bacon in the WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

friesian_rain

Senior Cook
I made bacon :shock: :D Saw a package of pork bellies at the meat counter and knew it was time to try to make my own bacon. I cured them in a 50/50 mixture of kosher salt and brown sugar; cured 6 days in fridge, turning every day; rinsed and soaked in water for a bit; set out on rack overnight to air dry. For smoking I used lump charcoal and lots of hickory chunks, smoked 3 hrs at 200-225. I wish you guys could smell this bacon, it's enough to make anyone drool.... my grandson said it was awesome :D And it really is so easy ![attachment=0:gf3a5t2r]P1000711 (640x480).jpg[/attachment:gf3a5t2r]

That looks fantastic! I think I can smell it!!!

I've been wanting to make some homemade bacon for a while now but, I just can't find pork bellies around here. Having a friend of mine coming in from Huntville Alabama I talked him in to picking up some bellies from a butcher up his way. When we talked about this several weeks ago I told him about 10 lbs should be enough for a while. Well, he came to Louisisana for a few days and just dropped off my pork bellies. Twenty lbs of nice pork bellies! They are in the freezer right now and I don't have my camera here with me so I'll have to get the pictures later.

Traegernator said:
That looks fantastic! I think I can smell it!!!

I've been wanting to make some homemade bacon for a while now but, I just can't find pork bellies around here. Having a friend of mine coming in from Huntville Alabama I talked him in to picking up some bellies from a butcher up his way. When we talked about this several weeks ago I told him about 10 lbs should be enough for a while. Well, he came to Louisisana for a few days and just dropped off my pork bellies. Twenty lbs of nice pork bellies! They are in the freezer right now and I don't have my camera here with me so I'll have to get the pictures later.

20 Lbs :shock: nice, you can make every flavor possible :LOL: I hope I can get some more bellies in town....

Got these for $2.00 @ lb. Is that a good price. I know these were still on the hoof at least a week or two ago!

Traegernator said:
Got these for $2.00 @ lb. Is that a good price. I know these were still on the hoof at least a week or two ago!

That sounds like a great price to me; honestly, I was so happy to see the two pieces in the meat counter that I bought them without even looking at the price :roll: Meat prices are so outrageously high here that $2/lb sounds like a bargain :)

friesian_rain said:
Traegernator said:

That sounds like a great price to me; honestly, I was so happy to see the two pieces in the meat counter that I bought them without even looking at the price :roll: Meat prices are so outrageously high here that $2/lb sounds like a bargain :)

That's how I'd feel(just being able to find it locally and buying). Just grab it without looking at the price!
When I was up in North Alabama last September and cooking for 700 Red Cross/Triathlon participants, my buddy and I went by this butcher shop and I grabbed some other stuff that I brought home and cooked and it was pretty good meats. All for 42.00 @ lb. this guy butchers wholesale and sells some to the public. I wish we had somethiing like that closer.

Fresian, nice avatar but, you should face the camera!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom