First cook for resturant done and successful.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hawk wild bbq co

Senior Cook
Well our first cook for the resturant was last night. Here are some pics of prep and setup but unfortunatley I got to busy to take finished product pics. I ended up doing the smoked beans and helping the resturant staff. We doubled the regular service for a Saturday night. Really missed opportunity by not service pulled pork sands for lunch though. Next week will be more prepared but all in all very profitable and fun experience. Everyone that came out of the resturant came to tell us how awesome the food was. We did 70lbs of brisket for his supper special and we sold out. Had 50 pounds or so of pork shoulder for an event for next week and we used up half of it when brisket was gone. Felt like a celebrity...lol. People stopping to take pics of the trailer and myself. Alot of shoutouts and honking throughout the day.

Looks like you're on your way to a sustainable gig. How long were you at the restaurant serving and was the brisket finished in your smoker onsite? Do you have all the required licensing for food service in your state? Not sure what all I would need for doing a public event like that legal in my area.

I was onsite from 3 a.m, setup and meat in smoker by 4:30 am. Dinner service started at 4:30 pm. I was onsite till 9:30 pm. I did ALL the smoking onsite. The smell of the meat cooking penetrated the entire area. I didnt have to have any licensing for this event because I was hired to cook for the resturant. It all fell under their food establishment permit. Nice thing is this will be an ongoing relationship so I can use his commercial kitchen as my home base for my catering license. The area is high traffic and the visual effect will reap huge rewards in the catering arena. I also sold some pork shoulders whole to guy that wanted them for graduation party the next weekend. He was thrilled to walk away with a butt hot out of the smoker...

Wow Hawk that is very impressive. Great to have established the mutual advantageous relationship with the restaurant. Now be careful cuz the way these gigs normally pan out is the restaurant guy figgers out he can cook the stuff himself...then the po pit meister is back to square one. I would want to get a few things in writing..maybe higher a scum sucking bottom dweller..er..I mean a lawyer (Just teasing Griff:) to add a few to wits and therefores etc. Now the current setup would be street legal in these parts but they would demand you cook under cover..as with a shed or taurpolian ect. Apparently them health goons lay awake at night thinking some passing bird drop poo on the brisket or something. They also highly like SS grates and interiors.

No worries Nick..all precautions taken as far as hand sanitation goes before prep started. You ever went into kitchen in a resturant and seen the cooks wearing gloves? Only when serving to the public when finished product is handled. Remember the pork and beef is past a kill point before the public ever gets it.

Hawk what a great deal, looks like a good setup, I'll be anxious to see how it goes in the next couple weeks, seems like it can only get better and more profitable.

Awesome Hawk! Congrats on the new gig. You said it was very profitable which is great to see considering you were there for 18hrs! Hope next week is even better for you. Do you know what you're cooking?

Yes I am going to do at least 200 lbs of brisket flats and around 80lbs od pork shoulders. Not doing all the smoking onsite this time have another cook for business employee party that day. Should be redal interesting this week...lol. After last week pretty confident I can pull this off.

Congratulations ! What an exciting opportunity..... sounds like it's going to be a lot of long hours, a lot of long REWARDING hours :D Have fun and enjoy ........

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom