smoked venison beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

friesian_rain

Senior Cook
I'm going to be making up a batch of smoked venison beans in my Bradley smoker this weekend. The plan:
I'm using Pecan wood, 3 to 4 hrs. at 225 degrees. Ingredients will be the typical baked bean recipe; bacon, navy beans, onion, Worcestershire, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, molasses......
Anyone have any suggestions or helpful hints and how to make this perfect? This is going to be a side dish for the dry-aged prime rib roast I'll be doing on the Weber grill.

Thanks

Well I would forget trying to stick Bambi's Mama down in the bean pot:) Seriously if you want the best baked beans they are called Bush's and come in Gallon Cans at Sams. All kinds of good recipes floating around out there on how to tweak them up of which the best sounding to me is adding a can of apple pie filling..bacon..onywans bbq sauce..blah blah blah. Try that and repoat back. You will burn up twenty bucks worth of hockey pucks on the Bradley eh? Forget that and use liquid smoke. Yankees cant tell the difference. Just my dos centavos of course.

bigwheel

Since he brought it up ... in my recipe box this one is called "Bigwheels Baked Beans" and they are the best I've ever had!!!

1 gallon Bush's Baked Beans
1 medium onion, sweet
1 cup sugar, dark brown
4 slices bacon, cooked, thick cut, 4-6 slices
1 cup Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce
3-4 Granny Smith Apples, chopped to 1/8 pieces
¼ cup Sunmaid Golden raisins, 1/4 - 1/2 Cup
1. Open the can of beans and pour off 1 cup of the liquid. Replace the missing liquid with a cup of SBR's or whatever bbq sauce you want.
2. Mix well along with the cooked bacon, chopped onions, brown sugar, apples and raisins.
3. Put in a big disposable half pan and cook on the pit without a lid till everything gets nice and bubbly and it forms a crust on top and the apples get done.

Well thanks for the accolades even though misplaced and cornfusing:) Those beans started life as a recipe from Boss Hawgs BBQ in Topeka, KS via the co owner of the joint named Elizabeth Lumpkin or maybe Lampkin. Her and her hubby was knee deep over at the Widder Basso's old message board. Big Dave ducked in there to eat one day and managed to wheedle the recipe out of her. Thanks Elizabeth. Now where this Sweet Baby Ray notion come in I aint got a clue. That stuff could make a grown man puke. The original recipe seemed to call for the sauce of your choice..which nobody in their right mind would pick SBR surely. Now fairly recent somebody started posting similar recipes using apple pie filling as opposed to having to mess with fresh apples. Granny Smith always too sour. Sounds a bit mo plausible to me. Use the filling and skip the apples. Cut back on the sugar a bit and viola. It would be a grand prize weiner.

PS Edit: Hey Freezin I was just teezin about the liquid smoke. Some of the few edumacated pallettes from up North can detect it..and nearly any commercial sauce got some in it anyway. If you decide to listen to reason and want to get some real smoke on them two hours in a kewlish pit with lid off the pan will get them plenty smokey. The old Mossbacks outlaw catering types like to dump them into pans or half pans and give them slow heat and smoke till they form a crust on top. That be on a big log burner. Hope this helps. Can you get any S Texas mesquite flavored pucks? Now that would put some good tasting smoke on there.

friesian_rain said:
I'm going to be making up a batch of smoked venison beans in my Bradley smoker this weekend. The plan:
I'm using Pecan wood, 3 to 4 hrs. at 225 degrees. Ingredients will be the typical baked bean recipe; bacon, navy beans, onion, Worcestershire, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, molasses......
Anyone have any suggestions or helpful hints and how to make this perfect? This is going to be a side dish for the dry-aged prime rib roast I'll be doing on the Weber grill.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies everybody, Bigwheel's beans seems to be the #1 choice.

Here's how it all turned out for me and lessons learned.
Lesson #1 if you want to be notified when someone replies to your topic you should subscribe to the forum; I just found all your replies.
Lesson #2 don't hand someone who knows nothing about digital cameras your camera because they don't realize that "erase all" actually means "gets rid of your pictures permanently"; there will be no pictures today.

So, I winged it alone on the beans and all my friends and family thought they were excellent. Big hit ! Since I have tons of time on my hands I made them from scratch starting with the dried navy beans. I did smoke 4 hours with Bradley pecan hockey pucks at average of 225 degrees; total time in smoker 6 hours. (outside temps were in the low 20's with occasional 20 - 35 mph gusts). Beans thickened up beautifully, I stirred occasionally to keep top from drying. The 10 lb prime rib was almost all consumed, just a few bones left. I did a dry rub with sea salt, thyme, fresh ground tellicherry & pink peppercorns, garlic, rosemary, thyme and cayenne. Indirect heat in the Weber over mesquite lump charcoal until temp of 137 degrees. Pulled and let sit for 20-25 minutes. Sides were twice baked potatoes, kale cooked with bacon, fruit salad. And a variety of beer, wine, whiskey and tequila...... I had to drink a shot or two of tequila to warm me while hanging around outside in the snow and cold LOL

No one touches the camera but me next time ! Thanks for letting me share my grilling/smoking story. And to bore you even further, I'm going to add my Venison Baked Bean recipe below. (NOTE: I don't normally measure ingredients and tend to make up things as I go along, this is the most accurate recipe I could put on "paper". The great thing is you can change this recipe up tons of different ways!)

Smoked Venison Baked Beans

1 lb venison, raw, diced
12 oz. venison breakfast sausage, raw, crumbled (my homemade sausage)
1/2 lb (two links) venison hot italian sausage " " cooked, diced and added last
12 oz bacon, chopped
2 lbs dried navy beans, cooked
2 medium white onions, chopped
2-3 shallots, about 1/4 cup chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
2 tsp fresh ground peppercorn
3 tsp Hawaiian sea salt, course ground
1 32 oz bottle ketchup
4 tabs Worcestershire sauce
2 tabs Dijon mustard
2 tabs stone ground mustard
4 tabs chili powder (the one I used was a sweet/medium blend)
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup molasses ( unsulphured blackstrap for best taste )
2 tsp hot paprika

Rinse and sort navy beans. Do quick soak method, then boil beans with a bit of olive oil until cooked. (see your favorite recipe book for details) Drain beans, reserving liquid, put beans back in pot.

In large fry, at medium high heat, start frying bacon, when slightly cooked add diced venison, cook a couple minutes then add crumbled breakfast sausage, cook a couple minutes then add onion, shallot and garlic. Add salt and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent. There will be a nice amount of liquid in the pan from the meat and onion, turn heat up to high and stirring constantly, cook until liquid is reduced by almost half.

To beans in pot add remaining ingredients of ketchup through paprika, stir well. Add cooked meat/onion mixture, with diced cooked italian sausage. Taste. Add anything you want to your liking. Add a cup or two of the reserved liquid from cooking the beans, this will soak in and mix just right with the ketchup mixture keeping beans moist and making a wonderful sauce. These cooked up sweet and spicy. (the two links I added were loaded with crushed red pepper and spiced up the beans just right).

Pour into foil pan and put in heated smoker, smoke for 3-4 hours at 225 degrees, cook until desired consistency and color. Don't forget to stir the beans every 30 to 40 minutes for the first hour and a half or so. Then just a couple times after that so the top doesn't get dry.

Well thanks for that recipe. Next time somebody gives me some deer meat and sausage I will give it a whirl. I have tried scratch made baked beans a few times and the finest effort was similar in flavor to Van Camps pork n beans. Or sometimes they come out crunchy like China Berries. I needed this recipe back then.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom