First time griller looking for some tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alazar14

Assistant Cook
Hey guys, I'll admit I'm a first time griller, I have never touched a grill in my life although I always wanted to. My family follows a very strict diet where we basically eat veggies & grains 90% of the time. Finally though I was able to convince my family to let me buy a grill, and they agreed with the condition that it be a small inexpensive one. So I bought myself a $18 walmart grill by Uniflame. A thin little portable charcoal grill but I bet its good enough to cook burgers & hot dogs so long as its not long cooking time. Its a bit thin and feels kinda flimsy so I would not want to cook something for a very long time on it. I also purchased a bag of Kinsford Charcoal. I remember reading all over the place that Lighter fluid for the flame was a bad idea in terms of health hazards & flavor for the food, so I decided against it. I was wondering if you guys know of another way to light up those coals tomorrow without a chimney starter.

Lastly If you guys could point me to a website that has charcoal for sale which does not have chemicals simply an all natural charcoal solution because I'm willing to bet that $5 bag of coal I bought is probably one of the worse quality ones. Given that grilling has been scientifically proven unhealthy many times in scientific studies I would like to minimize my exposure to those harmful chemicals the few times that I do go out and grill.

Anyways I hope to have some good times grilling tomorrow.

If you guys can give me any tips on how to start the fire without lighter fluid or a starter that would be great.

buy a weber chimney to start the coals. Keep the grate oiled so nothing sticks. Keep it clean.

Get charcoal that is labeled "natural lump" rather than briquettes. That eliminates the fillers, chemicals, etc that are used to make charcoal dust into briquettes. Lump doesn't burn as long as briquettes, though.

You can make a fairly reasonable chimney on the cheap from a #10 (institutional size) tin can punched full of holes. Remove both ends of the can. A pair of slip joint pliers works for a handle. Put about 2 sheets of newspaper crumpled up on the bottom, then the charcoal on top. Light the paper and there you go.

Welcome to the Forum Alazar14, you have come to the right place for advice. Great idea from NewHeart on the chimney on the cheap. Next time you need charcoal get some Royal Oak at wally world it will be the same price or cheaper than Kingsford and like NewHeart said no fillers, chemicals, smell or ash. Let us know how the first big cook goes, post some pictures if you can.

"Given that grilling has been scientifically proven unhealthy many times in scientific studies I would like to minimize my exposure to those harmful chemicals the few times that I do go out and grill."

It's only unhealthy if you pass out from to much drink and fall into the flame. :LOL: Just ask Larry.

Re: Frst time griller looking for some tips

heres my two cents...

If after your first cook, you like it, spend the money and move up to this...
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-40020-Smoke ... B00004RALP
It will last a lifetime and will be a great little grill for picnics ect. Wrestling with a crappy grill that doesn't want to stay lit or burns crappy and falls apart could ruin the whole experience. You can grab a pretty inexpensive chimney at walmo
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Barbecue-Char ... r/10879201 . It'll work fine until your ready to move on to a weber chimney.

Welcome aboard and don't forget to post pics of your cooks !

Back
Top Bottom