Question about Texas bbq sausage.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have not posted here in a while but I still read the forum and still fire up my cookers.

I remember when I was younger eating sausage at bbq joints in Texas, mainly a place in Alvin Tx. I understand that sausage is cured and smoked at low temps for a long time, but how do they do it in bbq joints? Do they cure and smoke it then just throw it on the pit to warm up and serve? Or do they make it raw and throw it on the pit at normal temps like 250? I usually just buy the stuff from the stores and heat it up on my smoker, and it comes out good. Just wanting to know because I have been planning on getting a grinder and stuffer soon. Hopefully Bigwheel will come along and enlighten me on Texas sausage.

Thanks
P.S. sorry if these are stupid questions, but I know nothing about sausage making.

Toby keil said:
Good question...maybe Mr. Dave Witt can chime in as he's the master sausage smoker. Wait, that sound strange...sorry Dave :)

Yeah the master sausage smoker is Puff, Dave is a Master Sausage Maker!

Not sure I have seen any bbq joints up here making their own sausage nowadays. The dedicated joints in the DFW area use sausage from Fischers Market in Muenster, TX. They run a truck up here twice a week. Think most folks think of Hotlinks in Tejas. They always cured. Smoke away at less than 180 or so till they get golden reddish brown and hit 153. Now if a person happen to be squeamish about microbes and laws etc. they should actually bring it up to 160 and held for how ever long the guv'ment brochure say. Seems like somebody say it had even now jumped to 165. Catering lady maybe. If you want the cats meow wrap the raw link with cheap bacon from stem to stern and slow grill ir or smoking it at normal cook temps 250 or so. Cook till the bacon gets done. Yum yum. Thats how the big boys do at the sausage contests so it bound to be right:) Go real easy on the Anise seed. That make your stuff taste like a likkorish stick if you aint careful.

bigwheel

0341SteelRain said:
I have not posted here in a while but I still read the forum and still fire up my cookers.

I remember when I was younger eating sausage at bbq joints in Texas, mainly a place in Alvin Tx. I understand that sausage is cured and smoked at low temps for a long time, but how do they do it in bbq joints? Do they cure and smoke it then just throw it on the pit to warm up and serve? Or do they make it raw and throw it on the pit at normal temps like 250? I usually just buy the stuff from the stores and heat it up on my smoker, and it comes out good. Just wanting to know because I have been planning on getting a grinder and stuffer soon. Hopefully Bigwheel will come along and enlighten me on Texas sausage.

Thanks
P.S. sorry if these are stupid questions, but I know nothing about sausage making.

Yep all the places I know of around here anyway. Some of them brags of using Rudolph's sausage which is a well respected establishment over in Dallas. Sure some of the sausage oriented places down in the Hill Country still make their own. I got some greasy gut bombs which the folks called Elgin Hotguts back in the 70's. Nearly as nasty as Pittsburgh Hotlinks from E. Texas but maybe not quite that bad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom