Brine question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
I could only find a fresh turkey with a 3% solution added...broth salt and sugar. Says
minimally processed.

I want to brine it.....will it turn out bad (too salty) if I do?

Naw it will be ok. Just watch the salt content of the rub and of course balance your brine propaly between sweet and salty..get it ice cold etc.

bigwheel

My brine is
1 Gal H20
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
One table spoon of each
Pepper
Onion powder
Garlic powder
I’ve used some recipes that call for 2 cups kosher salt for 1 gal of H20 and it was too salty.
Brine 1 hr per lb.
It’s really good stuff. I also cook hot and fast 400 degrees for crispy skin. I put about 3/4 lb of a butter compound between the skin and meat too.

I heard that one is good. I saw a vanella brine on one of the blogs somewhere too. Most likely would be for chicken.

I did the apple brine last year and a couple of people said my turkey had a ham taste to it. This year I am doing the simple brine of just water, salt and brown sugar. I also made a compound butter using some Knox's Yummy chicken and rolling the butter in some Rooster booster and black pepper and froze it till I'm ready to use it. Also don't forget to air dry your bird to help with the crispy skin.

Vermin999 said:
I did the apple brine last year and a couple of people said my turkey had a ham taste to it. This year I am doing the simple brine of just water, salt and brown sugar. I also made a compound butter using some Knox's Yummy chicken and rolling the butter in some Rooster booster and black pepper and froze it till I'm ready to use it. Also don't forget to air dry your bird to help with the crispy skin.
:shock:

Thanks. Now I'm going to worry for the next 24 hours.

I did the apple brine one year and had the same thoughts. IMO the brine was very flavorfull but almost to much so. Maybe my taste buds aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate the layers of flavor the brine produced.

Back
Top Bottom