DEER... Looking for help with Venison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Island Smoke Doctor

Assistant Cook
I'm going wild this year!
When I find something that works good, I stay with it... I have always wanted to try smoking Deer / Venison meat.
Anybody got some input into the right way to smoke it. I'm reading that you have to cook it "before" you smoke it?!?!? Anyone that is a hunter knows the last thing you want to do after hunting, cleaning, and getting it home, is screwing-up cooking (SMOKING) it.... I'm All Ears! I have made venison jerky, stew, oven-roast, steaks and even sausage. So if you have smoked venison, I would love to hear from you!!!

Look in the sausage factory there are many there. I grill cube steak's on the Weber threw winter.Kind of funny, I use the WSM all summer, And use the kettle all winter.

Pigs

Bambi is too lean for me to mess around with on the smoker. If I were forced into it I would do the Texas method for lean critters which is smoke it up for a while then wrap it with some butter beer onyawns etc. Move to a fairly low heat source and let it chuckle away till it dies and gives up.

bigwheel

I asksed a friend the other day and he sent me to a hunters website... I talked with a person that has been smoking venison for 15 years. This is what he said....

Cooking Venison involves the cooking process as well as the smoking. First, you only need to smoke it for around 2 hours but cook it for up to 4 hours. I always cover my meat in Extra Virgin Olive Oil by hand and then apply the seasoning. I then rub on lemon pepper seasoning mixed with salt, dill weed and garlic powder. After two hours of smoking, then I take the roast out and either wrap the meat with bacon cover the roast with bacon strips as best I can in a single layer. I then wrap the roast in heavy duty aluminum foil and make like a tent roll down to leave a very small gap on top for air and steam to circulate. Then I cook it for 4 more hours around 250-300. The aluminum will keep it from drying out and if you want, you can cover your roast in a drizzle of honey or a real thin vinegary bbq sauce. It's delicious and easy to make, just remember your smoking to taste and not to cook it, so be careful what wood you use!

So now I have an idea how to (Smoke) cook it... Now should I use Hickory, Apple, Maple or Cherry wood... HUMmmm?

Note; he also sent this Smoking Log printout... Nicer Than My Notes...LOL

http://www.smoking-meat.com/media-files/smoking-meat-log.pdf

PRINT ONE OUT....

Back
Top Bottom