Wife's bday request

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koopdaddy

Senior Cook
My wife's birthday is next week and when I asked what she wanted, she said Crab.

Well, I don't know a thing about cooking crab (or any seafood for that matter). I was thinking of maybe doing crab cakes.

Do you have any suggestions for recipes that I could use for a crab dinner? I am also thinking I might do a surf and turf for those that don't eat seafood. Or I could do Crab cakes, honey walnut prawns (she loves those things) and some scallops.

Any advice on cooking/grilling techniques?

............... this is just too easy.....

So... your wife wants CRABS for her birthday... does that give you permission to go out and get them first? :LOL:

anyway....

how about crab stuffed mushrooms

Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Ingredients:
1 egg
2 TBL Mayonnaise
1 TBL Lemon Juice
¼ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Dry Mustard
1 stick melted butter

1 lb lump crabmeat
½ cup dried breadcrumbs (I used ½ cup stovetop stuffing mixed per box instructions)
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
¼ cup finely chopped onion sautéed in butter
½ stick melted butter

Sauce Ingredients:
1 egg
1 cup mayo
½ stick butter melted
1 TBL lemon juice
2 TBL half and half

Directions:

Whisk together egg, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, Black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard and 1 stick melted butter. Pour mixture over crabmeat, breadcrumbs, cheddar cheese, onion and remaining butter. Mix together lightly.

Wash and dry mushroom caps, remove stems, Spoon crabmeat mixture into mushroom caps and put in baking dish. Makes about 30-36 large mushrooms, more if mushrooms are smaller.

Above steps can be done ahead of time and mushrooms refrigerated for next day baking.
For the sauce, whisk together egg, mayo, melted butter, lemon juice and half & Half.

Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes until moisture begins to release from mushrooms.

Sprinkle mushrooms with Old bay seasoning and sauce with the sauce.

Bake additional 8-10 minutes until mushrooms are tender. Serve hot.

....... maybe modify recipe to cook offset on the grill.....

Gary in VA said:

how about crab stuffed mushrooms

Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Ingredients:
1 egg
2 TBL Mayonnaise
1 TBL Lemon Juice
¼ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Dry Mustard
1 stick melted butter

1 lb lump crabmeat
½ cup dried breadcrumbs (I used ½ cup stovetop stuffing mixed per box instructions)
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
¼ cup finely chopped onion sautéed in butter
½ stick melted butter

Sauce Ingredients:
1 egg
1 cup mayo
½ stick butter melted
1 TBL lemon juice
2 TBL half and half

Directions:

Whisk together egg, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, Black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard and 1 stick melted butter. Pour mixture over crabmeat, breadcrumbs, cheddar cheese, onion and remaining butter. Mix together lightly.

Wash and dry mushroom caps, remove stems, Spoon crabmeat mixture into mushroom caps and put in baking dish. Makes about 30-36 large mushrooms, more if mushrooms are smaller.

Above steps can be done ahead of time and mushrooms refrigerated for next day baking.
For the sauce, whisk together egg, mayo, melted butter, lemon juice and half & Half.

Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes until moisture begins to release from mushrooms.

Sprinkle mushrooms with Old bay seasoning and sauce with the sauce.

Bake additional 8-10 minutes until mushrooms are tender. Serve hot.

....... maybe modify recipe to cook offset on the grill.....

I will vouch for these 100%. Everytime Gary comes over my house there are two things he brings, the mushrooms and New Castle. Not sure what I did to deserve a friend like that, but I'm a lucky guy. I make a pig out of myself with his mushroom, YES THEY ARE THAT GOOD!

My Mom makes this recipe but browns it in butter before she bakes it.

8 servings

Ingredients:

• 1 cup mayonnaise
• 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard, such as Gulden's
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 1 to 2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
• 2 pounds jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over to remove any shell fragments
• 3 to 3 3/4 cups fresh bread crumbs
• 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Directions:

In a medium bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, egg and hot red pepper sauce until just combined. Set aside. (May cover and refrigerate for no more than 24 hours before using.)

Place the crabmeat in a strainer to remove any excess liquid. Allow to drain for 10 minutes, then transfer the crabmeat to a large bowl, being careful not to break up the large pieces. Add 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs to the crabmeat and mix gently.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray or line with parchment paper.

Using a spatula, fold in about 1 cup of the mayonnaise mixture, salt to taste and 2 1/4 to 3 cups of the bread crumbs to the crabmeat-bread crumb mixture, being careful not to overmix. Test a small portion to see if it holds together. If it doesn't, add the remaining 1/4 cup or so of the mayonnaise mixture, 1 or 2 tablespoons at a time. If the mixture is too wet, add the remaining 1/4 cup of bread crumbs in the same manner.

Form each crab cake to the desired size; a 6-ounce, dinner-size portion will fill the palm of your hand. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown. For an extra-crisp top, broil for 1 minute.

Back
Top Bottom