Tattooed Butts!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbquzz

Master Chef
I was intrigued by Massey Q's recent post "Smoking 2 7lbs butts today." Here they are trimmed
and ready to rub and inject. The rub is Trim Tabb's Pig Powder and the injection is Coke,
brown sugar and Captain Morgans Tattoo Spice Rum.

After 12 hours in the fridge, I tried something I had heard recently, wrapping the butt and
then inject. Seemed to work well and I would think any injection that leaked out would
marinate the butt. After injecting I did add another layer of wrap to plug the injection holes.

On the WSM, I use Frog Mats so I don't get big chunks sticking to the grate. I've done this
before and it works well, worth the extra clean up. I hit these both with another hit of
Trim Tabb's Pig Powder before going on the WSM.

10:00 PM I put them on at 225° and meat at 51°.

12 hours later, still holding the 225ish and the meat at 170°.

1:30 PM ready to pull and rest. They were only at 185, but as you can see both bones
were ready, maybe beyond ready. I actually listened to the old Pork Butt round table
before doing these butts and Captain Morgan said "they are done when they are
done," these were done, he is right.

This is the meat from the injected butt; both looked about the same. I have to say the
non-injected butt had a much stronger pork flavor and was my favorite of the two.
It was fun to try, but in the future I'll stick to more traditional injections.

For Nick and the crowd, here is the plated picture :D I made a small batch of the
baked beans Bigwheel posted recently with Granny Smith apples, I now have them
in the recipe book listed as Bigwheel Beans .... Killer!

Great job Buzz. I have a couple of butts in the freezer that are going to get rubbed up and injected real soon. I got a new panini grill that's aching to get some service with pulled pork sammies.

Great looking plate. Thanks for the report on the butts. I think I'll stick with leaving pork alone and injecting turkeys with butter.

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":t0qes80r]What is that electronic gadget for? Can't run a pit? ;) :roll: :LOL:

Pigs

At least he has a pit! Great looking sammie![/quote:t0qes80r]

Ouch! At least he can borrow his wives.

Nice cook bbquzz.

Massey Q said:
Do you think it added flavor or took away from it?

It was good moist pork, it just did not taste like pork, actually kind of flat, so I guess I would say it took flavor away. I am not much of an injector, have tried Kosmo's Q and others I have read about here, but for me I'm just not sure it is worth the effort. The Tattoo Rum in a glass on the other hand was excellent, no Coke or brown sugar needed :LOL:

bbquzz said:
Massey Q said:
Do you think it added flavor or took away from it?

It was good moist pork, it just did not taste like pork, actually kind of flat, so I guess I would say it took flavor away. I am not much of an injector, have tried Kosmo's Q and others I have read about here, but for me I'm just not sure it is worth the effort. The Tattoo Rum in a glass on the other hand was excellent, no Coke or brown sugar needed :LOL:

I would have to agree you on the rum in the glass. That is my favorite rum. I keep a gallon bottle in my "bar" at all times. I am going to try the rum injection again however I think a bit differently next time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom