New to the Game

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Weather Haven

Assistant Cook
Hey Guys,

I just bicked up this Smoker from a friend who out grew it. I think it is a New Braunfels Black Diamond. I can read the New Braunfels on the tag but that is all.

I have read some on the mods for this smoker and I am going to get that going this week. I plan on putting in the baffel move the temp gauge and lower the inside of the smoke stack.

I would like to clean her up and put a fresh coat of paint on her. Is there any reason that I should not do that?

Is there anything else I should think of doing with this smoker?

Thanks,
WH
img_224855_0_91ba3e81dc56bb5ff38c43252a826928.jpg

img_224855_1_374f24059c69e677649f00259c1cf5a5.jpg

img_224855_2_37094b5f08b9b58e965a924398314a51.jpg

img_224855_3_7c3c7da897b433b098892729c7585d7f.jpg

Welcome WH, I'm sure not the one to ask this question, but in my opinion it looks like a fun project. I'm sure you will get some great advice right here, good luck with it and keep us posted on the progress.

Well WH, it looks like you got yourself a project. Myself, I have a Weber Smokey Mountain and it's probably one of the easier smokers to start off with. I've heard that your type of configuration of a smoker is pretty good once you learn the ins-and-outs of it. You should get some responses soon from some of our more experienced pit guys.

At any rate, welcome aboard the forum.

Welcome great find. I would not bother to paint it. Just clean out the inside and start a big fire in there to burn out all the crud. Maybe cook a chicken or two so to kill two or three birds with one stone. Once it cools down slightly start slopping down the outside and the inside of the cook chamber/grates with cheap cooking oil or you could squirt it down with a generic version of PAM. Do this after each use and after a rain storm. It will turn a nice shade of reddish black. Much cheaper and more durable than paint. Dont put any grease inside the firebox part.

bigwheel

Or you could do it the hard way: grind/wire brush it after burning the crud out, then BBQ paint the outside, then regrease the inside. I wouldn't do it(ok I might), but it is another option to entertain. Check when you burn it for signifiant air leakage. This is the problem with our new braunfel. We thought about fixin it with stove insulation but haven't yet. Also, if it is rusted in the inside and you close the door hard...and are cooking...you will have more than rub on the outside. But at least that is high in iron! :)

I have the same smoker and it's good cooker. The only issue I had as that it eats up a lot of fuel, so you will need to baby-sit it a lot before you learn its little ins & outs. I also put an extension on the smoke stackon the inside (about 3") so that it would regulate the smoke and heat a little better. I have had mine for about 10 years know and I have never painted it or coated it with oil, I just use it and scrape the inside top from time to time to get rid of some of the flakes that build up over time. I also put a foil pan in front of the firebox to help regulate the heat otherwise it just billows in and over cooks the stuff nearest the firebox. I put a foil pan with water next to the firebox as well to add moisture.

Heck my old Brinkmann Offset could hold 22 firebricks under the grates in the cookchamber. Made a real nice heat holding mechanism. It also make that end sink in the ground after a rain storm. The metal flexes too much on those sheet metal pits to be able to hold paint very well. Course it dont need any excuse for paint to burn off the firebox. Dat gets purty hot. I would not worry about air leaks. It needs all the help it can get to suck air. I always cooked with my firebox door open about 4 inches just so it got plenty. If you got a good fire going it aint gonna hurt to loose a little smoke.

bigwheel

OK here is what I have going on so far.

I made this grate for the fire box.
img_224992_0_490198f1e597c7e38d95f295c73668f5.jpg

img_224992_1_e24d8d150f753b6237d78334809e1fba.jpg

img_224992_2_60fcd0737ebd78242c09e195dcd4c684.jpg

Then I made a baffle.
img_224992_3_ad131aead64174aff475d2197b61fd86.jpg

img_224992_4_7b1d0a19030010e12e9d110650ec4d05.jpg

img_224992_5_4498f917ba805970bfb2fbece76d25da.jpg

What do you guys think?
Is the baffle too much?

I still need to drop the inside of the smoke stack and move the temp gauge.

Thanks,
WH

Great grate. Now the baffle got me a little baffled:) Might have use of some kind of minature shovel or hoe where you can reach up under the grate and drag out the dead ashes into a #2 washtub. Once the ashes build up to touch the grate those things quit cooking. In fact since you is obviously a purty good dirt daubing welder you could make one to conform to the shape of the bottom of the pit. Now that would be a great next project unless you already got er done perhaps.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Great grate. Now the baffle got me a little baffled:) Might have use of some kind of minature shovel or hoe where you can reach up under the grate and drag out the dead ashes into a #2 washtub. Once the ashes build up to touch the grate those things quit cooking. In fact since you is obviously a purty good dirt daubing welder you could make one to conform to the shape of the bottom of the pit. Now that would be a great next project unless you already got er done perhaps.

bigwheel

Well the grate just sits there. you can just pick it up. There is nothing holding it in place.

I am going to fire it up right now. I am going to try some beef ribs.

I have never used anything like this before so it might take a coulpe trys to get the feel for it.

Thanks Guys,

Tim

Yes this should be considered a practice round. If its edible eat it. If it inedible give it to the neighbors. That is my motto.

bigwheel

Well the Smoker worked great. I was able to hold the temp around 220 deg. for about 5 hours.

The ribs were ok. Too much smoke (alder). But they cooked well. I can tweek it around to get it right.

Thanks,

WH

img_225088_0_5d665fd776fc0192b146bad22851b251.jpg

img_225088_1_49e69a08471fd439e95d75b28fbe1939.jpg

img_225088_2_34981f11a148881424b7af4cd05a81b3.jpg

The only other thing I did to mine was to put a pan of water at the edge adjoining the fire box. But I didn't have a baffle. I like the idea of extending the smoke stack down toward the bottom of the pit. It would make it fill up with smoke and help prevent a blow by straight to the exit.

Nice first run!

Nick you not only got nice breastes but sharp eyes too. I did not even notice a jug. I would take a wild guess it some type of exotic hooch most likely.

bigwheel

Nick you do have nice breasts...what was the question again?

OK as I have said I am new to this. Do you guys not use starting fluid?

I guess I have never thought about it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom