luck received- doing my first big rib cook- update..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggo

Cook
I have 12 racks of St Louis style ribs to cook tomorrow AM. Going to put some rub on them, and then onto the Traeger for about 5 hrs, and a sauce mopped on during the last hour. I will cut them in bones (2 or 1 ?) put them in foil pans, then the cooler (warmer?). ribfest in town tonight, so we are taking the boat out and serving my ribs to my guests! No waiting in line this way. We hope to keep them warm in the oven at about 200 (generator will be running). Any thoughts or ideas are welcome. Any rub ideas may help as well.

Re: Wish me luck- doing my first big rib cook

Well best of fortunes to you. I'm sorta getting lost in the shuffle on the time frame you have to work with here but it seems a shame to have to crank an oven to keep them warm. Might want to plan on cooking them a bit closer to eating time and holding them twixt times in the proverbial empty ice chest. I could not bother to cut them up till serving time then I would cut them into one bone increments. Its a bit late in the day to go chasing exotic rubs. I cant think of much from the store which would be fit to put on em. I would surely give them a mustard slather and stick with salt and peppa. Do you have any rubs on hand? Can you find Adkin's Rub in your area? That one aint too bad and is commonly available at Kroger up near the meat counter. Needs to be cut with brown sugar cuz it mighty salty.

bigwheel

Big Wheelie thanks for the thoughts. I did end up puting the ribs in a cooler, and they stayed plenty warm, it is the way I like to do it, but my wife kept saying oven. I needed to cut them ahead of time as there is no room in the boat to it properly, and no way on a boat I wanted my guests to have to worry about cutting there ribs! So here goes the pics I hope

ribs rubbed down with a basic rub of Paprika and light brown sugar (equal parts) & then all the rest of stuff in lesser amount, pepper, red pepper, garlic, onion powder etc.

img_224744_0_2926d3ecef665e7c40ed33533f7e73c7.jpg

loaded in the Traeger and ready to go!
img_224744_1_e84324f2311f7e065014d5d80dea8906.jpg

ribs about 3 3 1/2 hrs in
img_224744_2_92bcc3863f29d81e09fea577d8d733eb.jpg

final product bad pics, from my iphone on top of the boat on a hot day
img_224744_3_e9ba01aeef403d944b22c7a5b1c420b6.jpg

better pics
img_224744_4_edd70f1fd4cbb90b7eee5fd3bfd7e05f.jpg

as a way of note, I put them on around 11 am, re arranged the cooker around 2 30 pm, put the ribs on the bottom grate on the top grate and visa-versa left the middles alone.
Began to sauce around 4-430 used Montgomery Inn sauce (from Cinncy oh), Pierces(sp) sauce (from Williamsburg, va) and KC master piece (from Sam's LOL). took them off and sliced around 5 pm BTW my wife says she loves KC the best, but on a blind test, she picked them last!!!
Overall I am pretty pleased. When you took a bit the meat stayed on the bone, although it was not tough.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom