Roadside Chicken Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bryan S said:
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt
Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every15 min to both sides and turn every 15 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usally add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. :D

I did it on the WSM. I started off with a little over a half chimney full of lit coal and poured it over a little under a half ring full of unlit. I had all the vents wide open for the full cook. The cooker ran right around 300 the whole time. Didn't have any problems with flare ups. It took around 2.5hours for two whole (halved) 4lb chickens to cook using this method. I used a mop vs. the shaker method. (note: if using a mop, make a lot of the marinade, I tripled it and barely had enough)

Bryan S said:
1 cup white vinegar1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt
Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every15 min to both sides and turn every 15 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usally add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. :D

NOTE: These amounts are subject to change depending on the mood of Mr. S. Seems as though he told me 1/2 cup of vinegar. :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao:

Now this sounds real good! Right up to

75lbribroast47oc.th.jpg

:lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao:

Just wanted to let you know that I am trying this one tonight on chicken breasts. Of course, not having anything but a gas grill or an indoor electric grill, I will be cooking it on the gas. It is well seasoned and most foods still have a wonderful grilled taste so hopefully it will turn out well. I also need to add that I used the 1/2 cup vinegar rather than a full cup of it and canola oil because I have run out of vegetable oil. I'll let you know tomorrow how it turns out!

This tasted really good! Les didn't realize it had sugar in it so he blackened it a bit on the grill. LOL I didn't think to tell him. We really enjoyed it and he also cooked Hawaiian Brats to go with it. YUMMY!

Bryan, you say "You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. "

does that mean:

1) no matter how much sauce you put on, it will still be OK or,

2) Don't put too much sauce on it or you will ruin it? :!: :!:

Based on an old SNL skit

The family liked this marinade so well that we are trying it on pork cutlets on the grill tonight! I have it marinating in the fridge now. I did add one thing to it.....about a teaspoon of cayenne. I'm in the mood for a little heat!

When I made this with both chicken and pork, I marinated it all day and the meat really didn't "need" to be basted but I am sure if you save out some of the marinade, you could baste the meat even without the butter. If it is going to burn, just marinating it in the sauce will make it burn.

I made it and the whole family loved it. I ate the leftovers cold the next day for lunch and was tasty too. Thanks Bryan.

ok, I was talking to Scotty about this, and I thought I post a couple of thoughts.

For dark meat, I cut back on the oil in the recipe. Lord knows thighs don't need much oil, but enough to get the spices to stick.
I used more vinegar in addition to less oil, but I used apple cider vin,
which imho is less sharp than white. I'll do white next time.
I also added much mo peppa. I didn't have white, so I doubled the black,
and then added a bunch of squirts of Tabasco. Next time I'll add even more. I like it this way, but want to make the flavors even stronger next time. (didn't marinade long last time, could be asking for trouble if you
go overnight with these suggestions).

A word to the wise...I like vinegar and I like hot. So for most folks the
orginal recipe will probably be fine. I just like the flavor so much I'm trying to increase it!!

This is too funny,, Thank you for bumping this thread i was going to go looking for this recipe tonight now its right on top :)

Thanks

Jon

I tried the road side marinade that you posted on my wife last nite and ( SHE"S hard to please with anything new) and she had told me to give the person a big wet kiss. She approved the marinade, now she wants me to try it on turkey ( inject it, next time). So it's a hit. Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom