BBQ Pit Masters Season 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how bout that Diva Q? I was rofl when she started bitchin about
doing ribs with Trigg.

You know they say he carries a gun in his boot.

You mean Johnny "Triggs", right??!! LOL!! I heard he carries Wild Turkey in his diamond encrusted waling stick too...no, wait, that was Evil Kenevil! LOL!!

I am hopeful the format does the show well!! That reaction to the gator from Diva was GREAT!!

Can't see me tuning into this one, honestly. They went from a behind the scene look at competition BBQ with a bit of comic relief to just another Damn IRON CHEF format. Granted this one might have more competitors with Southern Accents. Hasn't this format been tried already, and failed?
I know there is just so many ways you can show the contests meats being cooked, but come on There are so many teams out there competing that it shouldn't be too hard to put together compelling storylines.
I know the food contest genre is everywhere now but do we really need another show of how to cook some crazy ingredient? I think its been covered a million times by now. Don't get me wrong I hope they do well and its good for some in the BBQ world to get some exposure I just think that moving to this format wasn't the best way to move the show forward. Personally I would have pulled in a couple of new teams that compete everywhere and then brought in a smaller team at every venue they went to show the prep for guys not rolling around in a rig like Myron's. Build the story about who the people of BBQ really are. After all that is the formula for most all the popular shows on TLC, did anyone really watch American Choppers for the bikes, or was it the personalities that drove the show? Just my opinion and I know what it's worth. At least my DVR will have a little more free space this year.

Dave

Dave, interesting perspective, and much rings true. I don't think there are enough bbq secrets
and techniques left out there to reveal during a series, so to be truly interesting to the largest
audience, you would need to focus on the personalities. Perhaps they will be fun to watch.

But from a production standpoint, you must realize a sliding scale of what will attract what demographic
or section of audience. Folks just getting into comp bbq will view this as must-see tv. Every trick
revealed will be gold. The folks who compete that don't really have many questions left may tune
in just for fun, or to keep up with events. Those that don't compete will be attracted merely for
the reality show competition experience.

I'm gonna give it a chance just because Diva is in it, but the new host got things started off on
the wrong foot on his network tv debut. Hope it's good, but I sure won't cry if it's a miss.

Captain Morgan said:
Dave, interesting perspective, and much rings true. I don't think there are enough bbq secrets
and techniques left out there to reveal during a series, so to be truly interesting to the largest
audience, you would need to focus on the personalities. Perhaps they will be fun to watch.

But from a production standpoint, you must realize a sliding scale of what will attract what demographic
or section of audience. Folks just getting into comp bbq will view this as must-see tv. Every trick
revealed will be gold. The folks who compete that don't really have many questions left may tune
in just for fun, or to keep up with events. Those that don't compete will be attracted merely for

I'm gonna give it a chance just because Diva is in it, but the new host got things started off on
the wrong foot on his network tv debut. Hope it's good, but I sure won't cry if it's a miss.

Good assessment of the deal

spott77 said:
did anyone really watch American Choppers for the bikes, or was it the personalities that drove the show? Just my opinion and I know what it's worth. At least my DVR will have a little more free space this year.

Dave
I really enjoyed American Choppers because of the bikes and turned it off when it became scripted. Deadliest Catch was great at first, became scripted, and then became good again. Perhaps this show will do the same thing.

Captain Morgan said:

And we all know that Diva has NO personality!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL:

I think the old format is better.They took a new idea for a show and turned it into a show I can see on The Food Network just about any night of the week. I like to see what people go through to get ready for Comps and stuff and how they adapt when things don't go their way. I really don't care how they are going to prepare alligator, I probably never cook it.

I liked the way it was and judging from this trailer I'm a little disappointed. But I understand why they needed to change it to broaden the audience. I'm sure I'll probably watch it.
Is Diva always going to be on it? If she is it'll make it more watchable for me since I'll know who to root for.

Completely unrelated I've heard alligator is the healthiest meat out there.

Vermin999 said:
I think the old format is better.They took a new idea for a show and turned it into a show I can see on The Food Network just about any night of the week. I like to see what people go through to get ready for Comps and stuff and how they adapt when things don't go their way. I really don't care how they are going to prepare alligator, I probably never cook it.

And that is exactly my point. There are 10 of these types of shows just different Topics (cakes, cupcakes, etc) on Food Network at any given time of day.
Alligator or armadillo or anything else they decide to throw at the contestants is nothing more than Reality Game show crap. What's next are they going to add having to eat worms before you can put your food on the grill? It has nothing to do with BBQ or being a Pit Master. IMO

Basically I really enjoyed watching last season and think there were many ways to work the BBQ Circuit into the show and still make it something people would watch. I remember seeing comments here and elsewhere on BBQ boards about how people were coming up to those of us that cook like this and genuinely asking questions and were excited about BBQ competitions. I fear they missed a great opportunity. I really think we've seen this show before wasn't there something like this on Versus a couple of years back. I seem to remember Ray Lampe and Mike Davis involved having to cut the heads off of fish.

Can't get too excited. Looks like all the cake competitions on Food Network. I may give it a try if Gene Simmons Family Jewels is a rerun.

This isn't a referendum on Diva Q. I hope she did great and kicked @$$ in the competition. It's just that they missed an opportunity.

We had the pleasure of cooking on the show with The 3 Eyz Guys
Our episode will be 3rd to air
But then they do not have to show them in order of taping
Having a microphone tape every word from 10 am to 2 am should be interesting

I watched last nights episode. I liked seeing what the contestants did to prepare and cook their food, but aside from that all I got out of it was that Myron has an ego the size of texas, most of the contestants cant cook anything but bbq.

Shrug, I will probably watch the other episodes but I wouldn't call it amazing.

If they decided that the show was not working and cancelled the rest of theseason, never to show it - would we complain?

Back
Top Bottom