Bison Brisket 7-5-2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
We spent some time in Virginia this month to see family. My sister in-law Shan had a 7lb Bison brisket that was calling my name. Using a small Chargriller, Knox's Cracked Pepper Dry Rub, Bacon and some Bourbon soaked hickory chips we made good with the brisket.

7lb. Bison reporting for duty
Bison_1.jpg

Knox's Cracked Pepper Rubbed and covered in bacon for good measure.
Bison_2.jpg

In the cooker
Bison_3.jpg

Cooking
Bison_4.jpg

Halfway there.
Bison_5.jpg

Birthday!
Bison_6.jpg

Bacon, need I say more.
Bison_7.jpg

Sliced and ready, some people could not wait. Most people could not wait.
Bison_8.jpg

Sliced with potato salad, slaw and some really good bean salad.
Bison_9.jpg

I made smoked bacon salad dressing with what I could save of the bacon.

It looks good, but to me it looks a bit rare. Is that the natural color of bison cooked like that? How long did you smoke it?

I'm surprised you had any bacon left to make salad dressing with bknox! Looks like a good cook. What did you think of the Bison Brisket? Was it tender at 155*?

I know, too many questions.....looks really good though!

I was excellent! One of my better cooks. I took it off at 155 and rested it, covered. Typically the temp will continue to go up to about 160 or higher which is about medium rare for beef which is how I like it. Nobody complained and everybody including the kids all had a second helping, so I would say it was a success. Would have liked to have had my knives there so I could have shaved it and made sandwiches or put on top a salad. Maybe next time.

Looks yummy!
I've never had a med rare brisket, but as long as it's sliced thin against the grain and spiced right.... I don't see any problem there.
That would make a lot of nice sammiches fer sure !
Pass the horseradish.

Griff, It was not tough at all. I am a bit surprised as well as it seems from the response that it should of been. Maybe I just got lucky, but I typically cook beef to be about 160 internal no matter how big of a chunk unless I am not paying attention and it gets away from me. Same for most pork.

It could be the camera lighting that it looks more red than it was. I have never had bison like that so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I will take your word for it that it was delicious. :)

That's a mighty fine lookin' piece o meat you cooked
up there Bryan. Never tried bison before...your pics
got me thinkin' bout it ;)

Looks outstanding! I'd love to try that.

you gotta try takin your butts to 190 200*. Be careful though you might piss yourself they're so good. :LOL: ;)

let me add i'm sure im not tellin you nothin you dont already know.

Dollarbill,

I was talking about the brisket to a friend of mine. Basically that if I had to buy it I probably would not of. He said he has a friend where he could get it for cost, as well as goat, elk and deer sometimes. I may be trying another in the future and am going to let it go longer. Will still be using bacon and the bourbon hickory chips and hopefully have the time to video it.

bknox said:
Dollarbill,

I was talking about the brisket to a friend of mine. Basically that if I had to buy it I probably would not of. He said he has a friend where he could get it for cost, as well as goat, elk and deer sometimes. I may be trying another in the future and am going to let it go longer. Will still be using bacon and the bourbon hickory chips and hopefully have the time to video it.

http://www.czimers.com/index.htm ;)

Back
Top Bottom