Firehouse Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backyardbbq

Senior Cook
I'm at the firehouse today and the crew and I decided to cook up a brisket today. We've got a late start, but I'm hopefull we can hot cook it in time for a late dinner. We rubbed it down with Tony's Creole seasoning, these guys are crazy about it. More photo's to follow.

Sure enough they are backwards! I hadn't even paid attention to them when I loaded it. The cooker is a Masterbuilt electric smoker, it's the model with the window in the door. It does a decent job and it's nice if we catch a call.

Sweet ! Looking forward to the finished pics !

I noticed you have your probe in the seam where the point and flat meet. If it where me, I'd move it into the thickest part of the flat and gauge the temp from there....mind you...that doesn't mean it's done. You need to poke the flat with a long thin thing to make sure it's tender and not tough. Then you can separate the point from the flat, wrap it and put the point back on for "burnt ends"

Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know. ;)

This is the first brisket I've done, so by all means, pass along all the knowledge you can. I cooked it for 8 hours to about 190 internal temp, after moving the thermometer of course. The smoke flavor was very mild and very little smoke ring to speak of, all part of an electric smoker I guess. But the guys sure ate it up, so I guess I'll put a check in the victor box. :D

Looks good backyard. ScottyDaQ makes several good points. Don't probe in the thickest part, you'll dry out the flat.

Keep the posts coming!

Take er up to 200 next time in the flat. Good looken brisket. I'll bet it's gonna make some excellent sandwiches for lunch. That's if there is any left.
P.S. Thanks for your service.

Looks tasty. Good job. Did a little research on the smoker in question. Think the general game plan amongst some is to get the chip box smoking before adding either water or the meat. When it starts to smoke add boiling hot water to the water pan then add the meat. Might improve the smoke intensity a bit to do it like that if you didnt follow that strategy to start with. Or maybe try it like that next time.

bigwheel

I will have to try setting up the smoker that way the next time, thanks! There's a couple guys on my shift who don't BBQ and they were baffled when I cooked internal temp to 190. I learned that when it comes to a BBQ pit at work, everyone's an expert. :roll: :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom